Author Topic: 17 WSM?  (Read 5872 times)

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
17 WSM?
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:09:09 PM »
What's your thoughts and opinions on the 17 wsm?I have killed a fox with mine shot right behind shoulder at 87 yards tinny entry hole exit was about quarter size came out right on the bottom off opposite shoulder dog sound  spun About three times and dropped dead
Due to price increase in ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,there will be no warning shots

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 17 WSM?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:17:02 PM »
That's a pretty broad question.  what do you plan on using it for?  Do you understand its limitations?  I wouldn't use it for coyotes unless I took a head shot.  I think you are limited to about a 100 yard shot.  If compared to a .22 cal, it's definitely faster and may have a little more range.    I would need more specifics to give you a little better opinion.

I have a 17 hornet  (as well as others on the boards) that seems to be well liked for fox - using the right load, by myself and others....but I wouldn't use it as my first choice for coyotes.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 09:22:15 PM »
I've killed 3 coyotes with the 17wsm 2 were head shots at 50 yards that dropped and the other was a 80 yard shot in the lungs, that dog spun in circles a few times then ran 30 yards  and dropped. I really only use it on sets under 75 yards. I don't trust the accuracy of it after that distance. 

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 09:31:28 PM »
If you have the savage b mag with factory crappy stock put thin foam padding under the barrel between barrel and stock out toward the end of the stock. And do not use sand bag or any rest under the front of the stock move it back to the magazine stock is too flimsy to support it .my groups dropped down to 3/4 moa at 100 yards.

Jake was just asking in general a about the round not really for a special use I do carry it from time to time I personally wouldn't be afraid to shoot a coyote out to 150 with it not saying it's the best coyote gun but I feel it will drop em.how ever I know shot placement is the key with any gun any game.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:53:05 PM by nepahunter17 »
Due to price increase in ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,there will be no warning shots

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 10:27:12 PM »
I put a boyds stock on it and it helped a little.  My group at 50 and 75 is great,100 is so so and at 150 is terrible.   I bought the gun to hunt "special reg Allegheny county"" since its a rimfire.  I often wonder about the rimfire ammo, I bought 10 boxes of the same lot number when I got the gun.  Might buy another new box and see if it's any better. 

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:04:27 AM »
I wish the Winchester would come out with the SUPEERX HP like they promised...
As you know you can start to get other ammo but it's still not the HP.

Federal,  Federal with the American Eagle Logo, and Hornady along with Winchester now makes  17 WSM ammo.. Maybe you want to get the other mfg ammo intstead of buying the same win ammo with a different lot number..
I just like how my  17 Hornet Encore shoots so well that I didn't even kill anything with the  17 WSMRF this year..It grouped enough with the two  different types of Win grains.  I will have to try it on woodchucks.

What I want to do is reload for my  17 Hornet with 25 grain HP bullets instead of the  20 grain Hornady VMAX> We did rip a few red fox with it this past season.. The  25 grain HP would be better since it doesn't blow up on the surface and goes in deeper... Hence I think when Winchester comes out with the HP SUPERX  17 WSMRF we will have a better predator round..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:05:01 AM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:26:24 AM »
there is a young hunter from Dover Pa that visit here every now and then... he passed on some good info on the  17 WSM.. The ammo is made for the  25 grain to be the coyote getter and the the  20 grainer would be more for chucks... He shot a coyote with the 2o grainer and it runs a few yards and dies.. he shot one with the  25 grain and it ran  500 yards and dropped.. he said he was lucky because he shot the coyote in a dirt field hence he found it.  So you would think the 25 grainer would be better for coyotes not the  20? I just hope that Winchester comes out with the Win SUPERX HP they promised..Without looking I do think it's a  20 grainer HP>. 

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 10:56:50 AM »

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
I suppose the bullet mfg just think that we want to blow up everything... sometimes being a predator hunter that want to sell his fur sounds like a faint voice deep in the woods.. I suppose they do make a HP in the  17 HMR?  it probably just a matter of time.. I do kill fox with the VMAX factory in the  17 Hornet... Today I'm going to go to my reloading area and start to load some 17 Hornet 25 grain Berger with various powders to shoot for effect.. I like to reload maybe 6 each rounds with a specific  powder with the low, medium, and high recommendation in the reloading data.. So I will do 18 rounds with Lil Gun to start and then start on the other powders. As you know you just can't beat the lil gun powder for any of the Hornets.

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 10:50:17 PM »
I was in Cableas in Hamburg today..They had plenty of the Winchester ammo (20 and  25 grainers) on the shelf and also some of the American Eagle brand 20 grain VMAX.  looking for some of the Hornady now and even the name brand Federal.  As we all know American Eagle is owned by Federal.. Again would like someone to sell some 20 grain HP. As we all know Win promised some 20 HP under the SUPERX name brand.. that has not yet happened.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:56:39 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 03:16:13 PM »
Saw that Ruger is now selling a  17 WSMRF bolt action rifle... I just can't wait until all this bad weather departs so I can shoot some of my rifles back in and try the MGM Encore  17 WSMRF barrel I received at Christmas... I must have near 1600 rounds of ammo just in case they stop making this caliber down the road...Most of it Win 20 grain and the  25 grain stuff.. However I do have about 200 rounds of the Hornady 20 grain and maybe 150 rounds of the Federal too..