Author Topic: dead coyote choke tube  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Bill

dead coyote choke tube
« on: June 20, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »
I recently purchased a Dead Coyote Choke Tube for my Remington 1100 which shoots 2 3/4 shells, I know that I cant shoot steel thru it, But I'm having a hard time finding the ammo that fits the guidelines for my Remington, can anyone recommend some ammo, I know everyones gun "likes" certain brands, So I'm hoping I get a few choices to pick from to see what my gun "likes" best!

~Thanks Guys,   Bubba

Offline Whiteknuckle

• Junior Forum Member
Re: dead coyote choke tube
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »
If you mean that the longest shell you can shoot is a 2 3/4" then you are probably limited to #4 buck rounds. Alot of companies offer these rounds, in these shells you will have about 27 pellets of .24" in diameter. You will have to pattern them to see if they will shoot well in your gun with that choke.

The choke you purchased is really meant to be paired with hevi-shot dead coyote shotshells, but they do not make them in 2 3/4" that im aware of.

Jeremiah

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 07:47:01 PM »
Well, I decided to go and buy a DC choke tube for my mossberg 500, it takes a 3-3 1/2" shell and ammo will be easier to find...

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »
Well, I decided to go and buy a DC choke tube for my mossberg 500, it takes a 3-3 1/2" shell and ammo will be easier to find...
I just bought a Dead Coyote for my mossberg 500 and it's shooting Remington #4bk 3" great.
FayetteNam

Offline Bill

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:05:38 AM »
Thank you for the tip, I'll will definitly check out a box of those, what would you say the max distance would be for shooting a coyote with that combo of choke and shells?

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 04:19:30 PM »
I haven't maxed out yet. I shot into a tote lid yesterday at 30 yards and it was extremely dense in pattern. 90% was within a 10" circle.
FayetteNam

Offline Bill

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 09:04:54 PM »
enough said right there!!

Offline Whiteknuckle

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 09:24:13 AM »
Bubba,
You made a good choice by going to the 3 1/2" gun for this. Now remember to still pattern all the loads you want to try. Yes it will cost a bit try them, but it will be well worth it in the long run and you will have more confidence in yourself when the time comes to drop the hammer. Try all kinds of different loads just remember not to run steel through that choke and #4 buck is the largest pellet size we are allowed to hunt furbearers with here in PA.

Jeremiah 

Offline Bill

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »
Jeremiah,

Thank you for all the useful information, I am waiting till payday to buy a Boatload of different shot for this, I should look into Coyote targets to pattern my shotgun...once again, thank you, I've learned alot in my short time on this site!!

Offline Whiteknuckle

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 11:33:58 PM »
Bubba,
No problem thats what we are here for.
Save your money. No need to buy coyote targets for patterning. old peices of card board or larger paper work very well for this.
I actually have a 36"X36" steel patterning plate that I built specifically for this purpose. With my setup the steel plate is held at a slight downward angle to deflect the shot at the ground after hitting the plate. The plate is painted white and after you shoot it you just repaint the pellet marks with white ground marking paint.
This setup allows me to pattern a shotgun with a new load very fast.
The old paper or cardboard should do the trick for you though.

Jeremiah