Author Topic: taurus judge for fox at close range?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
taurus judge for fox at close range?
« on: March 31, 2011, 12:38:22 AM »
Anybody have any thoughts on using the taurus judge loaded with buckshot for fox that  sneek/run in real close? I mean inside 20-25 yards close. I don't like carrying anything more than I hav to and I was thinkin about gettin one of these to solve the problem of carrying two bulky long guns all the time. I was thinkin the longer barreled version instead of the snubby. I missed out on 6 reds this year because they ran in too close and fast for my scoped rifle and I had not brought the shotgun along.

uncle buck

Re: taurus judge for fox at close range?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:14:59 AM »
Probably work on Gray Fox...However at night time...It's hard enough for some to hit a fox with a 12 gauge shotgun.. As your calling season progresses your going to get hang ups,  some fox will stop at 50, some at 45, some at 30 and a few will run right at you.. So your kind of hurting yourself for all of those fox that would be in shotgun range beyond 20-25 yards...   Might be good to carry one on your hip if a fox comes in close but have a rifle or shotgun as your main gun.. Sometimes if I'm doing guiding and all the calling I will just carry a Ruger Single Six with the 22 WMR cylinder in it.. Might be a good gun, the Taurus for shoot coon out of trees????? Kind of throwing in all the Pro and Con that would prevail using such a close shooting gun...

I don't think the 410 buckshot comes in # 4 buckshot also...So it would not be legal to use the factory selfdefense buckshot for fox.. It's to large.  Unless I'm wrong and the buckshot is # 4 buckshot but I think I saw it a larger shot.?????????

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: taurus judge for fox at close range?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »
From what I have read is the judge has too wide a pattern after 10yds.  the rifling actually makes the pellets spiral out and open up instead of keeping it together.

you should invest in a combo gun and ya got the best of both worlds.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”