Author Topic: choke question?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Bill

choke question?
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »
Hello Gang,

I was thinking about taking my Remington 1100 out for a hunt and had a question about what choke to use, I plan on shooting 2 3/4 number 4 buckshot and was wondering what choke would be best?  thanks for any and all advice.

uncle buck

Re: choke question?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:56:57 PM »
While it best to pattern you gun with all your chokes to see that best pattern... If I was going to use the smaller buckshot like # 4 buck I would use the full choke tube...Once read that .690 constriction is good for # 4 buckshot... If you go to the Carlston choke tube company web page I think they list all the mfg choke constriction for the brand of chokes.  In your case it should tell you what the constriction percentile is for the Rem Choke full choke.. With the season closing and if you were going to hunt in the big Mosquito Creek hunt I would however go with the Full Choke tube...

Here is the Constriction for the Remington tubes... Looks like Extra Full is the .690 constriction?????

http://www.choketube.com/remington.html

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:01:46 PM by uncle buck »

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 04:38:34 PM »
I don't consider myself an expert on this topic but I did experiment with a bunch of chokes one year to see what patterned the best.You differently need to pattern your gun with your ammo of choice and have a few chokes to play with.I was surprised with some of the results.A tight choke doesn't mean your going to have a nice tight pattern necassarly.If its to tight it actually deforms your shot and causes fliers.By loosening up your restriction a bit you will achieve your ideal pattern.The .690 seems like a good choice but a slightly larger size might be worth a try.Let us know how you make out.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:40:29 PM by foxtrot »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:25:48 AM »
I am assuming that you are using the whichester 2 3/4 loads?  I shoot that load out of the tightest choke I have and it seems to pattern the best out of my gun.  but you should pattern your gun to know what it will shoot best.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”