Author Topic: Lights when the shooting starts  (Read 1661 times)

uncle buck

Lights when the shooting starts
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:03:22 AM »
We are always learning.....Shooting lights......Best to find the way that works for you and use it.

Shotgunning:   Use to think that when using the shotgun a hand held light attached to a dowel rod and or broom handle was the best.. However hold the shotgun, then hold the hand held light on a dowel rod and now try to do some serious mouth calling.. Kind of tough.. Even when it time to shoot the hand held light IMO is not the best...Even a light affixed to the SHOTGUN barrel just is not the ideal shooting set up... IMO I did find having the light on my head...Get one that the beam is wide if you can find one.. Or turn the bill of your hat to look down the shotgun barrel seems to work best for me.. However now take the same shotgun and now affix a red dot equal to the Busnell Holosight and the head light will shoot a glare down the red light screen.. Yep best to have a hood on your head light that shoots over the red dot device..Also remember when using a shotgun best to have the bead illuminated... I have tried that Cabelas luminous paint on my 10 gauge single shot.. When your red head light hits that now painted bead it does light up so I like that.. I also use the bobber lights behind the bead of the shotgun too.. You need something when using the shotgun on dark nights so you know where to point your shotgun...Truglo also makes an archery light that attached to your barrel will illuminate any of the already raybar type sights that are on most guns these days...Battery powered bobber lights not toned down will blind you...I now reverse the battery powered bobber lights and face the lighted end toward the bead.  Many people toned down with sharpies have to be done hours prior to the hunt.. I have already taken mud from the ground below me in Oct or Nov and smeared it on the to bright of a bobber light to tone it down a bit...You start missing easy shots at fox with a shotgun because of the to much brightness of the bobber type lights you best adjust or you will just keep missing those easy shots.  

Rifle shooting...This is when the light needs to be affixed to the scope or the barrel.. So many people feel the light affixed to the barrel will impact accuracy.. It might....I just don't know... I attach my light to the scope but if it would not affect accuracy I would prefer it on the barrel. Some say to shoot the Point of Impact or Zero in with the light attached to your barrel first. Now your point of impact for hunting will not be affected. I do know the good thing about rifle shooting with the red lens shooting light.. Once you turn your head light off and hit them with the rifle attached shooting light the predator just seem to keep coming.. It places you behind the red light and act as an outstanding shield.. I'm truly not a person that tries to mess with my shooting system once the season starts.. So for this year I am going to leave the scope light attached to the top of the scope or the side.. But wish someone would make a universal scope mount for lights that would take the light higher so it would affix to the top of a scope better.
The other night when hunting with the rifle over snow...I needed a bit more light  so I turned the red Kill Light on.. It did not work well over dirty small accumulation snow and the not so twilight conditions. Areas where you could still see more vegetation then snow or dirt then snow.. A white shooting light on the rifle would have been better. The red light made it hard even to see down the scope tube..  LOL what does this mean? That I need to buy a Kill Light with the White, Green and Red change out heads? I would think this is when any of the tactical type white lights would work for you!!!! On your Kill Light  holder there is an tactical mount that you could attach a white tactical  light to for such conditions when they prevail.

Then there is the shooting light  system affixed to the shooting  rest too not the gun. This seems to work real well for some..

Someone could actually give a predator calling seminar alone on all of the ways to use a light.. The pros and con of when to use a red light, when to use a white light,   etc etc etc.

You get your shooting light system down right.. Your going to get a lot of fur...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:22:55 AM by uncle buck »