Author Topic: varmint grenades?  (Read 4882 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
varmint grenades?
« on: September 28, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »
anyone shoot these?  I know hodgen shot em for out in cali.  I have been curious about this round and have been wanting to try em.  I normally shoot 55gr psp from black hills.  they are seconds.  even being seconds they are still 30bux for 50.  I picked up a box of brand new varmint grenades in the 36gr variety in new shells from black hills and these things were awesome.  printed awesome on paper at 100yds.  a 3 shot group covered by a dime.  Now I do not know what will happen when it hits a fox.  I plan on trying to pick off a few hogs here this week to see what happens.  two water bottles are dead though.   ;D
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

Re: varmint grenades?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:59:23 PM »
Ben I remember Larry saying he did not like them..They kind of ripped things a bit....However I never tried them so I can't tell you from my perspective... If I may suggest you reload some and go shoot a chuck or two with them you will know for sure then if they are rippers...

You have probably seen my post about Gerald Stewart using the Combined Technologies AKA Winchest/Nosler Silver Tip bullets.  Gerald said in the 223 that they did not rip bobcat....Now during the Texas Predator Pursuit seminar.they said they did not like the Silver Tips..However they were using them in a 22250.

I have used the Silver Tip 50 grainers in the 22250,  At 0 to 100 yards they did not rip fur... However past 100 yards they would not be good for fox in a 22250.   Lucky I now have that 223...Of course I will reload some of the 50 and the 55 grain Silver Tips and let everyone know how they work on fox...This bullet can be purchased in factory 223  Silver Tips...

I know one thing from shooting Silver Tips with the 22250..If it was close it OK.. But far past 100 yards they too are rippers. However that with a 22250 not a 223 or a 222 or with a 22 Hornet...

Sadly when Predator Pursuit made comment about the Silver Tip...I did not catch the bullet they like for the 22250 that they used to replace it.
Um was ait a Barnes Extreme or X____ or something like that??????

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 09:04:38 PM »
I don't reload yet.  So that is why I bought them from black hills.  I hope to go out and nail a few chucks tomorrow.  the wind was too bad tonight after I was done sighting in so I got grocery's instead.  I will definitely report on how they do when I shoot a critter with em.  but I am guessing with as explosive as they are I am guessing a straight on shot or one behind the shoulder should be fine.  a shoulder hit or bone hit will prob be messy.  the psp were nice because they expanded like a deer bullet and didnt put too big of a hole in em. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »
I went to hand grenades. Woks great on charging foxes.

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:50:26 PM »
I have heard good and bad about them. I have some 50 gr but haven't loaded any yet.

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »
BIGBEN
varmint grenades in the 36gr variety
I wonder how fast they are, but it seams every bullet does damage sooner of later on these thin skinned fox
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 08:38:30 PM »
I think black hills has em advertised at 3750.  what I normally shoot is advertised at 3200.  would like to shoot em through a crono to see what they actually shoot.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 09:55:26 PM »
Bigben
That looks like a good flat shooting load for fox and coyote. But we will just have to wait and see how you do.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 07:23:08 AM »
yeah I am kinda wondering how they will do.  I'll keep ya updated.

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 02:58:29 PM »
As you all know....Bullets designated at Match type bullets do not explode as easy as the varmint type...They...match even though many are hollow points are for shooting in competition or for accuracy....Could be? that this is the type the fur hunter might want to try out...They do not explode as easy..Now they are not like FMJ but they are not quite like Varmint designated bullets either.

Ever notice?  trying to get people to buy products? They use words like Deluxe, Pro Model, Classic, or   or TNT or in this case Grenades...Make customers start to think that this is better... I'm not saying that they are not...However just kind of making you think of things that you never think about???

Why even the new Savage 223 I recently won?  Model The Edge  and with an XP designation? we shall soon see I guess????     

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 03:21:15 PM »
well I can say that these things are grenades.  I shot two bottles filled with water at 100 yds and they blew up darn near in two pieces.  The v maxs would splinter the bottle but would still be one solid piece.  so they are more explosive then the v max. 

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 07:01:13 PM »
Uncle buck
I have shot fox with 223 with 52 to 55 grain bullets and they all have done ok. One fox perfect hole, next fox big hole. but more perfect holes then big holes. I would still be shooting my 223 and might go back some day. But I have this 17 rem and I dieing too see lighting strike a fox.  ;D

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 08:52:46 PM »
Buckwheat your going to like your 17 Rem.  It should take all predators and vermin to with no problem... From Coyotes all the way down to chucks and crows..Now crows? you might see a pile of black feathers....