Author Topic: Pelt saving questions...  (Read 6668 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Pelt saving questions...
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »
yep I think you need to make 20 posts before you can send pms.  that way spam doesn't get passed around quick.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 11:37:59 AM »
What's the secret to cutting down fur damage? Reduce bullet weight or bullet speed?

Offline MCWALK

• Rural Retreat Va.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »
Earl I would say increase bullet weight and reduce speed.......With the .17 Rem,I load those Berger match bullets but they are moving pretty fast...You have also got to have penatration...I am not a big fan of ballistic tips because I have used them and have had splashes before....The last ballistic tip I shot was at a coyote that I called in late one evening....I shot him dead in the shoulder with a ballistic tip 55 grain out of a .243 and he spun 2 or 3 times and took off running...I never did find that coyote,just hair and some blood...I am going to try some different stuff for the .204 this year with loads...I have been loading 35 grain Bergers pretty hot and have shot fox with those and it look like you had thrown a house cat threw one ;D...I was thinking of loading 40 grain Bergers for the .204 at a much lower velocity and see what happens......Chad
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:58:15 AM by MCWALK »
M.Chad Walk
www.walkpredatorcalls.com
mcwalk@walkpredatorcalls.com

Offline MCWALK

• Rural Retreat Va.
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »
Guys I just want to add that Im no expert in this...Im just telling you what Ive tried in the field over the years...
M.Chad Walk

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 12:22:53 PM »
Guys I just want to add that Im no expert in this...Im just telling you what Ive tried in the field over the years...

that is what an expert is in my opinion and is greatly appreciated. 

when i was looking for a fox/coyote gun i took the advise of a person who has been there and done that and ended up with the .17 fireball on his suggestion. 

Offline MCWALK

• Rural Retreat Va.
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »
Thanks Scott!!!The .17 Fireball is wonderful also!!!As with the .17 Rem you still have to pick your shots...All the coyotes that I have shot with my .17 have been in the neck because like I stated earlier that I night hunt 90% of the time...When the light hits them in the eyes I aim just below the eyes and squeeze the trigger...That way there is no guessing about which way the body is to take the shot...You aim just below the eyes and you are always going to hit neck....That is if you dont miss,and Ive done plenty of that also.... ;D ;D ;D

I shot this coyote in the neck at about 150 yards this past March with the .17 and he didnt even twitch....I howled him in and I guess he thought he had him a girlfriend!!!! ;D ;D ;D

This one was called in thick cover to about 40 yards and I let him have it with a Browning BPS load of  3 inch BB's...Good grief he was a big ole red one!!!Man it was cold that evening!!!Look at my red nose... ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:42:53 PM by MCWALK »
M.Chad Walk