Author Topic: ? for you 22 hornet shooters  (Read 2950 times)

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
? for you 22 hornet shooters
« on: December 10, 2007, 07:48:49 PM »
WOOO HOOOO!!!!!

Wife said I could get a new gun for Christmas.  Going to order me a CZ 527 this week.  Just wondering what bullets (grain and type) you guys like for fox / coyote hunting?...  What brand of ammo?...  Planning on reloading, what powder / bullets shoot the best for you?

Thanks in advance

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:01:38 PM »
oh my here we go again... the CZ's are using a .223 dia barrel... you'll need to see what will shoot in it... some shoot .224 bullets well others need to be hand fed with .223 to make them happy... try WW 45gr sp's first off... I've found WW brass best for reloading also... as for powder start off with lil-gun... I've found that to be the most consistent and most accurate in my guns as have several others around here...  if you can get away with 224 bullets, 40gr V-Max are most excellent bullets for groundhogs and coyotes with full bore loads, try some of the Hornady or Speer 40-45gr hornet bullets with reduced loads for fox... I had some reduced loads made up with 40gr V-Max that worked well on fox also... this caliber is just to much fun to limit yourself with only a few loads, make up many and have fun with them all...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:29:28 PM »
Thanks Dale

I love to work loads, will be nice to be able to load so many rounds out of a pound of powder.

I want to get a bolt action.  Was looking at the Ruger 77/22H also, but I'm hearing better reviews for the CZ.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:20:20 PM »
I'd be wary of the Rugers, heard a lot of bad about them... some here have had real bad experiences with them... I shoot a T/C Encore custom shop barrel... 26" bored at 1-12", I have a terrible time slowing it down as a K-Hornet, but with my top loads I get 3250fps with a 40gr V-Max... can't shoot 35gr bullets because of the fast twist either...

as I said earlier the only thing about the CZ's is the .223 bore diameter, but whatever you need to shoot they normally will shoot well... keep us posted as your progression with it continues... and yes you can load a pile of ammo off a pound of powder...

another tip... keep it away from Momma, women love shooting Hornets with the accuracy, mild report and no recoil...  sometimes it's tough to get'em back... :D
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...