Author Topic: bit the bullet  (Read 5171 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
bit the bullet
« on: November 13, 2007, 08:18:10 PM »
I have been talking about getting a .22 hornet and finally went and put the order in for one.  I got a synthetic handi rifle from NEF.  price is 235.00  I did not think that was bad.  got scope rings shooting rail and hammer extension ordered also.  one thing that the gun dealer had told me was this new checz ammo.  he said he shoots it out of his browning and they group within moa at 100yds.  which is all I am asking.  I think it was dale that said the regular .22 hornet loads from remington where good?  hopin to get out and get it bloody during thanksgiving.  have a fella bringin the video camara down to video some action.  Just hope I can provide for em.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
bit the bullet
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 08:26:56 PM »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
bit the bullet
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
not me Bro... would rather throw rocks then shoot Remi ammo... WW 45gr sp or WW 46gr HP's or roll your own...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
bit the bullet
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 07:08:40 AM »
allright I will remember that.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
bit the bullet
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 06:02:29 PM »
allright picked the gun up today and I am a bit peeved.  I bought two boxes of ammo the cheap checz ammo that was 22.00 a box and the expensive whinchester 46 gr HP that I was reccomended to be the best shooting rounds out there.  guess which one shot better?  the dang cheaper ones.  maybe they just shoot that way in this gun?  what the hell am I gonna do with a 45.00 box of ammo with 3 shells empty?  the cheap ones were shooting .5 in at 75 and about 1 in at 100 the others where lucky to get 3" out of.  the only thing I can think of is use the whinny HP's for polishing and breaking in the gun barrel some more.  or save for g-hogs and shoot em at them smelly critters.  so far I am happy with the gun.  shot about 25 shells through it cleaning every 5 shots.  the gun could use some trigger work and I think I am going to put on a stony point rapid bipod system for it then but the trigger is going to wait until after fur season.  the trigger is just heavy and does not have any noticable creep.  the blueing looks nice and the synthetic stock sits nice in the hand.  I do have a pretty cheap scope on it.  a tasco world class with ill ret.  but it is clear and holds zero.  so heading out on wednesday night for some night hunting action with a fella that is coming down to video.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
bit the bullet
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:21:56 PM »
boy did they see you coming for them W/W's we never paid over $25/27 a box... but it's been a while since I bought any...  :lol:   good to hear it shoots the cheap stuff though... now go buy a case of it before the price goes up...

you can keep the WW brass for loading...  8)

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
bit the bullet
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 09:37:27 PM »
1" @ 100 sound pretty good to me.  Can't beat it for the price.  Here's a couple places that have the cheap stuff for less than $11

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=ammoGroup&ammoGroup=1&searchBy=size&ammoSize=194

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00217SBA22002

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
bit the bullet
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 08:55:40 AM »
everything has went up dale.  you pay allmost twice what ya did two years ago for a box of centerfire rounds.  I plan on going back and getting two more boxs of the chezs ammo.  I am not sure if it is reloadable but I am keeping the brass.  the whinchester stuff I plan on shooting g-hogs with it and keeping the brass.  I hope to reload for it if costs go up much more.  seems a lb of lil gun lasts a while and get a box of 500 bullets and primers and off we go.  maybe with more shooting it will get better.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
bit the bullet
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 10:59:54 AM »
that's what I'm thinking... this is a first, a gun that won't shoot the WW ammo accurately... again you only shot 3 rounds, so who knows... it may work just fine after you get a few rounds down the tube and get the trigger done...

Offline Rich Cronk

Bit the bullet
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 02:28:48 PM »
bigben,

A cousin of mine from wyoming stopped by this morning. He told me that Hornady ammo shot well out of his Hornet in Ruger #1. The Remingtom ammo he tried didn't group well at all. He did note that the Remington ammo he tried was loaded with a heavier bullet than the Hornady fodder. My thinking is maybe the twist rate being used for the Hornet is too slow for heavy for caliber bullets to stabilize. I should have written the bullet weights down that my cousin tried. I believe the Hornady ammo was around 35-37 grains, and the Remington stuff was 40-45 grains. Just something to think about.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
bit the bullet
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 03:26:40 PM »
most of the Hornady stuff is the 35 gr VMAx bullets... will shoot in a lot of guns with the 1-14 twist... most guns will shoot the 40-50gr bullets with no problems at that twist... the exception being the T/C guns, they're all 1-12 twist in 22 caliber and won't stabilize the 35 gr bullets well...

I've got a 26" barrel heavy in 22 K-Hornet and it'll shoot the fur loads into one hole all day long at 100 yards... the 24" standard barrel would clover leaf'em all day... to bad I sent it to Tejas for a contender action that'll some day be the basis for a 17 fireball...  :D  

since lil-gun powder came out the Hornet or some variation of it's been my favorite caliber...   8)

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: bit the bullet
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 11:08:15 AM »
I suggest 221 fireball over 22 hornet. Just as quite, more energy, more bullet weight choice, faster.

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 11:58:57 PM »
hey BigBen....hows your new rifle treating ya?
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
Ben do you have a chronograph?... I'd like to know the velocity difference that you're getting that much difference in drop between the 2 brands...

I load my stuff a bit slower then factory so I really have no idea of what it might be... the one thing I found out is my fur loads and the groundhog stuff {3250fps} both hit about the same at 100 yards so it makes it real easy to resight for fur...