Author Topic: Coyotes in Dauphin and Sullivan Counties  (Read 4664 times)

Offline 82Dead

Coyotes in Dauphin and Sullivan Counties
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:11:24 AM »
I am new to predator hunting and was wondering if anyone has some tips on getting coyotes in Dauphin or Sullivan counties? I tend to think I will have more luck in Sullivan county for the coyotes. I hunt about two miles from World's End State park, and have called a few times at night with no luck. I got into this sport by calling in red foxes at home in Dauphin county, and found that to be rather easy. Now I want to try for a few coyotes.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coyotes in Dauphin and Sullivan Counties
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »
the best advice I can tell ya is there has to be coyotes within hearing range to call em.  watch your downwind side or place a obstacle on your downwind side to keep em from getting down there.  coyotes are in every county in pa and I have heard tha dauphin county has a few honey holes.  get out and scout and you have half the battle won. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline 82Dead

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »
Thanks for the info. I could use some suggestions on calls and cover scents, I dont know too much about that stuff. I have been using a rabbit distress call, and that worked great for the red foxes here in Dauphin county. I am going to stick with mouth manually operated calls for now as the electronic ones seem to be expensive. I do know there are coyotes here in Dauphin county I just have never seen one myself, other than one time years back crossing the road. I am going up to my cabin in Sullivan on the 13th of this month to try for some more coyotes, and I could use all the help from people with experince that I can get.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:01:36 AM »
I am not big on the cover scents.  but that is just me.  we have members that use misting well.  but as for calls stick to a lone howl kiyi and your basic distress sounds.  rabbit and fawn. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:07:19 PM »
i hunted some gamelands last Sat in Sullivan County,  no luck but there was a lot of sign.   For me it is all coyote talk this time of the year.   

Offline Jake

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 01:29:57 PM »
Hi, it doesn't matter what county you hunt in, it does matter of, its a populated area.
Like it was posted, they have to be within hearing distance.
as far as sents, don't use Skunk :'( , (they spray when there is a problem), Fox glan smells alot like Skunk!!!
I use Raccoon,  Coyotes are not scared off, and it is a good cover up, on your down wind side, it lets, you even use what ever call you want, without alarming the CoYote.
It is, What it Is.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »
Talking of scents.  Has any one used coyote urine?
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 05:55:06 PM »
Hi, it doesn't matter what county you hunt in, it does matter of, its a populated area.
Like it was posted, they have to be within hearing distance.
as far as sents, don't use Skunk :'( , (they spray when there is a problem), Fox glan smells alot like Skunk!!!
I use Raccoon,  Coyotes are not scared off, and it is a good cover up, on your down wind side, it lets, you even use what ever call you want, without alarming the CoYote.

Ive killed 3 with light skunk sent on.You have to put a few drops on your boots and let them sit a day or so.
Coyotes eat skunk.
Fox is used to death by bowhunters.
Coon,would work.
But no scent is better than nothing.Spray your clothes with colloidal silver.It eats up the backteria in your sweat.
Rinse and gargle with bakeing soda,i keep a gallon jug in my truck.Stench from a persons breath,groin,and azz.will send a yote a runnin quickly.Shower with a good bacterial saop 12 hours before you hunt.Then take as hot of a shower with no soap before you go.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:06:46 PM by TROPHIESONLY »

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 06:01:51 PM »
Talking of scents.  Has any one used coyote urine?

You can mix coyote urine,and about 3 others.It is called misting.
It is best to find logging roads,etc. that a coyote would run.Misting will sometimes make a yote drop his caution,as he is trying to figure out what is up.But most wont stick around to find out.I think a coyote hunter has to realize,if it isnt close to a actual sound thats in the woods,there not coming.Like a ecaller played for 3 minutes.A rabbit doesnt scream for 3 minutes,its a couple screams and thats it.All the above will mostly work on 5 or 6 month old yotes as they are inquisative.Sorry about these posts,i seen a map from the mosquito creek hunt that showed yotes turned in by hunters,by counties.But call your local Penn. game office and ask them to have the office from that area call you,they will help you out.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:04:03 PM by TROPHIESONLY »

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 06:16:01 PM »
Ha Ben, i can see why your not in to cover scent. Heck as big as you are it would take 10 bottles. LOL

BP

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 06:27:46 PM »
Stench from a persons breath,groin,and azz.will send a yote a runnin quickly.
Is this documented?  TO, I wanted to say something about your azz odor, but apparently you already know!  Rinse that thing off!

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 06:29:42 PM »
Is this documented?  TO, I wanted to say something about your azz odor, but apparently you already know!  Rinse that thing off!
Maybe shaving yir azz hair would cut down on the azz odor
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 07:19:43 PM »
Maybe shaving yir azz hair would cut down on the azz odor

LOL. it is...so is the front.

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 07:20:54 PM »

If you PPHA city boys wasnt afraid of the dark and sat a little further apart,you wouldnt have smelt it...lol

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 07:27:57 PM »
Ha Sheeponly, us city boys due fine on predators.