Author Topic: Busy weekend.  (Read 2636 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Busy weekend.
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:48:01 PM »
Took Forrest out on Saturday for the youth mentor Squirrel hunt,  he started the day off good, hit his first one about a 50 yard shot.  Things went downhill from there, he missed 2 others and winged one we couldn't get, we did see a few he couldn't get shots at.  wind was strong and they were moving really good. 

Sunday we got up and headed to the cabin for some fishing, we fished for about 4 hours and go some nice Calico's, Perch, and Bluegills.  I picked up one Bass around 4 pounds, didn't fish much for bass though.   

Today me and Forrest went back out for squirrels, again he got one on his first shot, about 60 yards,  he then missed a couple and then got another one, this one was 85 yards, nice shot, under the cheek and out the back of the head.  i would post pictures but they are to graphic.  .17 hmr does a number on those tree rats. 

Tonight, Jackie tried a panfish soup receipe from the Field and Stream Mag, it was a waste of the fresh fish, should have just used them the way we always cook em. 

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Busy weekend.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:55:45 PM »
Scott, its the part of just being together in the woods,congrat to him on the harvests.

and especialy thanks for taking him small game hunting,that tradition is near gone around here,children are taught to hunt just deer....and from a heated box blind to boot...kids like to walk...

i taught the boys to still hunt alot,as it keeps them intrested.

those 17 are a good rifle...i took the boys out on sunday mornings and let them shoot 22 lr's,its cheaper,and they get the target practice.

but most of all,they knew every time they were not gonna get game,and shooting the 22's kept them fired up for hunting.

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:13:29 PM »
Nice job of being a father Scott, stay stay as close to him as you can for as long as you can. Someday, he will find other interests to occupy his time but he will never forget the time in the woods hunting with Dad. Now is the time to fill up his memory bank.
President PPHA

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »
awesome!!  8)
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:06:15 PM »
Good job Forrest!It sure is fun hunting squirell, doesn't matter how old you are.17 hmr is an awesome caliber but it is a little strong for squirell,head shots only if possible.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:54:48 PM »
he has a .22 and .17 hmr, both are the same exact gun except for the caliber.  we do alot of plinking at the range with the .22 but he likes the .17 hmr for hunting because it reaches out to 100 yards without any adjustments.   i do tell him to take head shots but he sometimes will shoot the front shoulders out,  we only take the back legs and backstraps anyway.   he has been hunting for 3 or 4 years now, since the mentor youth program started.   i try to get him to go coyote hunting at night but he is alittle nervous.  can't say that i blame him.  when he is ready he will ask to go.