Author Topic: is it all that complicated?  (Read 3371 times)

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
is it all that complicated?
« on: October 29, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »
I have been predator hunting for a few years now an I want to try my hand at some trapping. I have a bunch of number two victors and duke coilsprings for fox and yote. I also have a bunch of number one an a half victor long springs for coon. I have boiled them and dyed them in preparation. I have all the rubber gloves,stakes,tags,sifter an all the other stuff that goes along with trappin. I'm just looking for some good tips on where and how to do some sets. I have alot of ground that I have access to (about 600 acres total)as well as living right along shermans creek in perry county. I am most concerned about getting rid of the yotes on the 180 acre farm that I bow hunt on. I have seen them chasing deer an found crap with deer hair in it numerous times. This is not a trend I want to see continue.

Offline 221 Fireball

• Junior Forum Member
Re: is it all that complicated?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:07:40 PM »
Sent you p.m.

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:14:49 PM »
I hope the #2 victors are round jaw and not square.  The yotes will destroy the square jaws.  The best tip I can give is set on sign.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:47:54 PM »
What is the difference between square an round jaw? Besides the shape obviously. Why is one stronger or more durable than the other? When you say set up on sign, do you mean like along tractor roads that are littered with tracks and crap or are you talkin about other spots?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »
On sign= where you see tracks and scat

Square jaws have a little more flex to them than round jaws in my opinion

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 10:04:50 PM »
The old vic sj were never designed for yote.  Its not the square jaws but the quality of the trap.  Yes on the road with tracks or skat.  Also blend your sets well.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:18:46 AM »
So now that I know where to set, what is a good way to set up the trap,chain an swivels an stake an what not. By that I mean how long should the chain be, how many swivels on the chain and where, how long of a stake do you need? I'm on a tight budget right now so I don't have the money to go out an buy bait. What's a good homemade bait for fox and yote? I wouldn't be heartbroken to find a red in a set either.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 05:54:53 AM »
prdtrkilr223 asks-
What's a good homemade bait for fox and yote?
Squirrel, Mice, Rabbit, dry Dog food are easy to obtain.
others, Muskrat, Mink & Beaver.
I like to cut meat bait real fine, almost paste like. Make 'em work for it.
One of my favorite baits(is pre-made)...
Get the leave'ns from the meat saw when cutting up Deer. Deer shops throw this stuff in the can and  will give it to you by the bucket full for free! Already cut fine and ready to use or ready to add some other ingredineces. Also this free bait is perfect for 'bait staitions'.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 06:02:42 AM »
A well used mouse nest out of a block pile is a good, free, easily attainable bait

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 07:02:38 PM »
Double L...you gave me some memorys when I read your reply about Mouse Nests.
My brother and I were boys, we would place a sheet of tin or half of sheet of tin roofing in the field. After many days, we returned and I flipped the tin over while my brother was at the ready...that's how we caught Black Snakes back then. The mice would move in and the Black Snakes followed. Mice nests ahoy.
I recall one large Black Snake stood upright, Cobralike, taking us by surprise. My brother swung his walking stick like a baseball bat at the Black Demon. The darn snake ducked brothers best swing, twice. Black racer got away.
Anyway Double L, sure did fine alot of Mouse nests under our tin(s).

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 08:24:53 PM »
Bacon grease or grease drained off ground meat works well.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 07:40:54 AM »
U nderstand the food motivator for meat grease, but wouldn't the household smells that could possibly be accompanied with it be somewhat of a warning sign to a coyote? Or am I making this more complicated than i need to?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 06:29:07 PM »
They smell household odors all the time, and can proccess a ton of ingredience within a smell. but anything can trigger a response, keep it simple

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »
dont over think it!  you can drive yourself mad  :o!  i think it was Tom Maranda that used only an old coke can to catch fox.  locaton is KEY, everything else will work it's self out.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 06:25:53 AM »
jb says-
locaton is KEY
Plus bedding trap soild and using a good bait/lure to make 'em work/ keep thier interest

Lots of myths and misconceptions on animal behavior in todays world. As LL said, keep it simple.