Author Topic: Tune it up!!!!  (Read 6947 times)

Renny

Tune it up!!!!
« on: July 26, 2011, 08:57:33 AM »
Time to get ready for fall.........

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Re: Tune it up!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:07:10 AM »
holy crap...did you get a few new dozen??? yote traps?
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Renny

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »
Coon...  A friend and I are going to run a river line for a week or two.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »
I sure have a lot of traps to get ready! Gotta get at it and get it done before October. Wish I had as nice a place to do them. :)

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »
Ive been planning my "Big river line" for years now. there is always something to shut me down

Renny

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:27:38 PM »
I hear ya!!!!  We've talked about this for a couple years and decided we arent getting any younger.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:51:59 AM »
man, I live down here right on the lower susky, and i've been thinkin bout runnin a river line ever since I started trapping (2 years) haha not very long. I've got the jet boat to do it, and we have trapped beaver on the river, but only for a weekend. I do get the height gage sent to my phone every hour via text, and man does it go up and down. Everyone i've asked said they'd do it when they get to retire, but since i'm hard headed i'll probably learn the hard way and do it sooner or later. I was going to run mostly coni boxes (24 of'm, not a lot but its what I got) and DP's I have yet to buy. I guess there are plenty of sets you could make with a CS that doesn't have to be on the waters edge. I've seen the river around where you live, should be iterresting. Any sets that you will try to concentrate on?
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Renny

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »
Mostly dirtholes and cubbies with some blind sets mixed in.  Gonna stay on the bank and on trails.  Only going to run about 100 traps for about two weeks or until a goal is met but will move them at least once... probably twice.  Also running a jet.

I will still be working full time during this period so not getting too crazy..... PLUS...calling is good, the walleyes are biting, the buck will be ruttn', K9s to catch and ...............well you get the idea.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 10:17:43 PM »
...pretty much the best time of the year! the gf turns into a hunters widow around oct-nov...anyways...how will you be staking down your traps primarily?
              "CritterDone"

Renny

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 10:52:05 PM »
Primarily cableing off to trees, logs, flood debris, etc....... then rebar.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 06:34:42 AM »
Best of luck on the river line, Renny.
The weather will be the biggest factor for river trapping, but you know that. Our section of the Susquehanna stays up for 3-5 days with heavy rainfall.
Set heavy in good locations. Remember what Ed Bacon said..."When Jim and & I set a location, we're there awhile."

BTW, I have dry dirt sifted and put up and dozens of traps, boiled and waxed. Still have lots to do and might even clean up the shed. Lots to do. If you haven't started getting ready for fur season you are already behind the eight ball.
Renny, the fuel pump went out on the Rhino so I replaced it. 2 weeks later (maybe 2 hours on it) the fuel pump went out again. Waiting for a new one to arrive. Then I can get the Rhino outa the fur shed...lol.

Renny

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 08:34:34 AM »
Thanks Hern and best of luck to you also....  I did clean and adjust all traps after I pulled last year and there ready to boil and wax.  Havent got after dirt yet but will soon.  Thanks for your help putting cable together this spring!

Is you rhino still under warranty?  Maybe you shouldn't let the Mrs work on it any more......

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 11:21:38 AM »
Naw, Rhino isn't under warrenty. Dealer did replace fuel pump @ no charge.

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 02:06:56 AM »
Good luck on the trap-line. I'm going to try to trap a bobcat as my main goal but there are grayfox in the area and some coyotes that will  be targeted.....ED

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 12:42:43 AM »
just watched jones pile up coon on his ohio river line last night with cubbies, seems with that system it would be pretty easy to beat the flux of water levels, not having to have the trap covered by water per say
              "CritterDone"