Author Topic: Chirping Sound Ball  (Read 3459 times)

uncle buck

Chirping Sound Ball
« on: August 10, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »
I remember way back when...That someone was selling a small miniature battery operated chirping ball that you hang by your trap...I would think that this would just invite trap theft on grounds that may be open to other hunters...I suppose they would work..However all it would take would be a small game hunter to walk by and hear that chirping and of course they check things out...

The few that I did see probably would be great to set up for predator calling... Just might make the predator coming into the mouth call start to move to a bush and or tree where a person could take a well placed rifle shot...

Even now Foxpro does sale a small chirpping sound...To me it sounds like a Starling Distress...

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Chirping Sound Ball
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 05:43:59 PM »
Mouse squeaks and chirping sounds work great to suck predators within shooting range. 95percent of my shots are due to this method.

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 05:52:52 PM »
I too agree...Bulb Squeaker or even the Johnny Stewart Rodent Distress cassette of CD...played on a boombox for 30 minutes straight is deadly for red fox and everything else too...

The trapping attractor then would probably cause predator to come in for a look see and then work the set...However there is always the chance of someone messing with your set because they also hear the trapping electronic ball chirping...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 07:57:51 PM »
I remember that chirping ball thingy. Never bought it or heard of anyone trying it. I think it would be good for Bobcats.
I think blind sets would work with chirping ball.
But a well constructed dirt hole on good location is hard to beat.

Years back, the ole timers told storys of burying a pocket watch under a blended trap. Fox would be caught by both front feet.
I never tried this method either.
When I was young, I had one pocket watch and wasn't about to use it to catch Fox. Dad would tan my hide if I messed up my watch. Mom tied a brown shoe string on it so I wouldn't lose it...LOL.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 08:07:18 PM »
I've heard of the ticking alarm clock, under a coffee can with the trap bedded on top of the inverted can

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
While getting a bit off topic here but a most excellent comment on the alarm clock tick tick tick...

Did you ever get a puppy and gee they miss their mom...They cry all night whimper whimper whimper for weeks.
What you do...Here...is you put an alarm clock in their kennel or where ever you have them sleeping.. See they think that their mother heart beat and they don't cry all night...I know I know..Jumping from trapping to keeping your new puppy from crying at nighttime.

However let me say this:  Do This for your new hunting dog a Beagle Pup...There now we are talking hunting so I can put this on here.

OK lets get back to trapping sounds again.  LOL LOL

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 05:13:39 PM »
i forget where i read an article where a trapper used one of the chirping ball,  he had two of them shot by hunters.  his catch rate did not go up by a lot but it did go up.  he said they were very good to call predators off private lands next to lands he had permission to hunt, where that animal may have never came over on its own.