Author Topic: most successful night  (Read 2724 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
most successful night
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:13:46 PM »
 It would be interresting to hear about the most successful hunts anyone has had over the years?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:13:02 PM by foxtrot »

Offline corey26

Re: most successful night
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 06:36:11 PM »
I guess it depends on what you consider a successful night. Our best nights of calling in critters or best nights as far as killing them? My best night as far as
killing them is one coyote a night. My best night calling I'll have to say is calling in 3 coyotes and a coon in 2 stands in one night.
Proud member of the PPHA

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 11:11:44 PM »
I would have to say any response at all is a success.The best night I ever had was nine grays and one red harvested before midnight.That was back in the 80's when there were grays in large numbers and a coyote was almost unheard of.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 08:22:43 PM »
 The last night of the 08/09 season. I finally got a fox that had outsmarted me 4 times prior. Then on the way home I seen a tree'd coon so I tried to call him in with my foxpro. I played a coon distress and mad boar and called in a grey fox but didn't get the shot. 10 minutes before seasons end it started to spit snow and got bitter cold. Yes I walked up to that coon and finished my season and his with my 22 mag. I usually hunt more in the day but I can't wait till the first night of the 09 season.
FayetteNam

Offline mountainfox

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • '09-10 Bobcat
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 11:27:08 PM »
I have to agree with corey26, it all depends on what you condsider a sucessful night.  The first night I ever went out at night, called in a coyote to about 10 yards, unfortanlly didn't get him but it definatly got me hooked on night hunting.  As far as critter gettin, it would have to be two seasons ago, my brother, father, and I were out and got two grays in one night, doing only a few stands.
~mountainfox

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 10:53:28 PM »
Well here is my most successful night from May 17, 2008.

I keep the trail cam out year round and check it once a month or so.  Starting in March/April I started to get some pics of a coyote, 1 or 2 here and there.  I got them printed and showed them off to some friends and family members.  Then one evening I got a call from my wifes Uncle.  He heard that I had some pics of a coyote.  He began to tell me when he was running his beagles about 1/4 mile down the road from where the pics were taken.  His pup ran ahead a good 100-150yds and by the time he caught up to her she was cowarding down on the ground.  He put 2 and 2 together and figures she must have been jumped by the coyote(s).  So he set up in the barn several hundreds yds away to do some spotting.  He said he saw where the den was and that there was at 1 lge male and female and a bunch of pups.

So at the next gun club meeting I showed him the pics and he couldn't determing whether it was one of the ones he saw.  The gentleman that owns the farm where the coyotes were seen, was at the meeting as well.  I asked him if I could hunt there that Saturday evening.  He said "well its actually his daughters property, but he didn't think she would mind."  

Saturday came and I preped all day long.  Making sure I had fresh batteries in the calls and my home made decoy.  I figured that I would go out in the evening since that is the time my wifes uncle saw them.  I was set up on a open field at the back end of the property.  I tried to make sure the wind was at my face.  So I put my gear down along a hedge row and unrolled my speaker cord out to 50ft and put my decoy next to that.  The tethered call is a Johnny Stewart digital call.  I also had 2 Cass Creeks, Predator and Predator II.  Once I got settled I did a wind check and the wind was at my face now.  Well, no time to change positions now.  With the decoy moving to and fro I started my first calling sequence.  It was coyote howl and the JS.  I did that three times.  Then I hit the rodent distress on the Cass 3 times.  I did each sequence twice.  I waited for about 10-15mins.  Then hit the pup cries on the JS. Did that 2-3xs.  I sat for another 10-15mins with no results.  I figured I would get up and move to the other side of the field 300-400yds away.  Just as I sat forward to get up.  The coyote came from down wind from near where I came from..  She started to angle towards the decoy.  I let loose with the T/C Encore 12ga.  She rolled, I got up and ran over to her.  She started to get up.  I raised the gun up to hit her again.  Oh crap, single shot, I ran back to reload as she started to get up.  Luckily enough her front leg was broke.  The second shot put her down for good.

Oh, by the way this was my first time coyote hunting.

David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 07:31:17 AM »
probably the night I killed my coyote.  called in a few more fox after that but couldn't get a shot because of the wrong weapon in my possecion.  that was probably the most memorable. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 11:01:56 PM »
most successful as far as body count goes would definately be back when i was in high school....'91 or '92. took home 4 reds & 2 coon in one evening. that was one long night of skinnin an boy did i have an 'aroma' the next day at school! lol 
most fun in one evening was when i tripled in 30 seconds on some coon in '01 or '02.
most exilirating was my first coyote.
most memorable was my first red fox with my recurve on my first attempt at calling from my tree stand.

but i guess in any case...a successful night for me anymore is not getting stuck in the truck, loosing a call...my keys...my wallet or my cell phone and making it home in one piece. body counts dont mean nuttin no more. hunting & BS's with fellow PPHA members takes the cake for me now. 8)
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 08:48:47 AM »
Yea Woody, aint that the truth.
President PPHA

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 08:47:03 PM »
MY best night was my first to Texas. I was with a friend who was an excellent caller. We were up in the high seat and he was calling. I wanted a bobcat real bad. After a few spots i seen what i thought was a reflector. I told my friend Don i just saw a red reflector. He said does a reflector BLINK? So i place the scope right between the two reflectors and pulled the trigger. Don went out to see what i had shot at. He said Earl you shoot a giant jack rabbit. (I was upset thinking it was a bobcat.) AS Don got back to the truck i could see a very large bobcat as DON was laughing. Since than i have made over 10 trips to texas and killed many more bocats on my own. Don one of the best predator callers i have ever seen taught me everything i know about calling in fox, coyotes and bobcats. I really miss this guy but he dissapeared due to personal problems. That cat is mounted in my home.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:07:28 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 09:35:13 AM »
My most successful night was in Texas with Earl and Don. I killed 4 Bobcats my first night there. I could have had a few more till I remembered I was paying a $100.00 kill fee per cat. So, I killed the next red fox that came in for free. It was a real adventure for me, my first night hunt in Texas. Now I need to go back for a Ringtail cat and an Aoudad.
President PPHA

Offline Kodiak

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 07:14:51 AM »
My most successful night was 1 coyote, 3 grey fox, one red and two coon. We hunted hard that night and they were all taken in Blair county.