Author Topic: Cost to raise a dog.  (Read 3547 times)

uncle buck

Cost to raise a dog.
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:31:42 PM »
Heard recently that it cost people $18,000.00 to raise each dog from birth to their natural death..
Old days...mutts...Heinz57 variety dogs...Never sick and of course they did not have all those shots back then.  However I would say the shots are needed in this day and age...Namely Rabies and distemper..

Had an full breed dog...Lab.....Wow he cost me more to take him to the vet then a family member...Sometimes $250.00 a whack and then he would get sick every now and then and end up in a dog hospital...

I wonder if the $18,000.00 includes all the damage dogs do too...If that the case then .......Heinz 57 variety dogs also could cost you too.  Rip a wall to wall carpet up here,  chew furniture there,  etc etc.  Could end up that it could run you more then $18,000.00 to raise any dog...

Me I like dogs...Last had a dog in 1999....  Wow did I have to repair a lot a damages to the house after he departed us.....

Just wanted to put a post on here to make people think of something that they might not even think of...What it really cost to own a dog.  Not that it's bad to own one...There are so many positive things that come from owning a dog and or cat...

Um let see I had 5 dogs they cost me $18,000 a piece to raise. Gee I could have purchased a hunting cabin in Wyoming county for $90,000.00 if I did not own them... LOL

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: Cost to raise a dog.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 09:03:56 PM »
got me thinkin now , thanks ub, my number is probably considerably higher than $18,000 ea we have a pure bed german shepard, pure bred jack russel and my baby, hes rottweiler, pit bull and lab mix, all of our dogs eat what we eat if we get takeout the dogs get takeout if we have steak they get steak and trust me they can eat.
district #1

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:44:50 PM »
got me thinkin now , thanks ub, my number is probably considerably higher than $18,000 ea we have a pure bed german shepard, pure bred jack russel and my baby, hes rottweiler, pit bull and lab mix, all of our dogs eat what we eat if we get takeout the dogs get takeout if we have steak they get steak and trust me they can eat.

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:40:12 AM »
mee too i have 2 pure bred labs and a pure bread beagle.  one thing i have noticed years ago when a dog got old and was suffering the owner took it for one last walk, mourned the loss of the dog for awhile then got a new pup.  just recently i know a woman who had a 13 yo dog that was blind and can hardly walk, yet had surgeory done on the back hips to the tune of 2500.00, what vet in their right mind would do that to a person, i think a vet back in the day would have said enough is enough and advised the owner it was time to put the dog to rest.   makes you think the newer vets are in it for the money. 

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »
Nowadays, everything is ALL about the money.
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:41:42 PM »
Notice that some of the dog supply warehouses sale syringes and serums to shoot your own dogs up...Um one just might send Rover on a Trip Of No Return If They Give Him A Bit To Much Juice...Distemper, rabies, etc etc

My Lab had a Thyroid problem...I had to give him pills to control it.. However the vet ever now and then would say "OK lets give him another blood test to see if we need to give him the same pill, less of the pill, more of the pill...Cost for the blood test....About $250.00...Also women vet...She must have had 3 to 4 people working for her in her office... Me thinks Beau, the Lab needed blood test to fund the wages of all of her hired hands not to see if the pill was working...
The dosage of pills the Beau the Lab was on was working..However when I refused to get yet another blood test within just two weeks of the past she would not give me anymore pills to control his problem..
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:45:08 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:25:14 AM »
UB states-
Heard recently that it cost people $18,000.00 to raise each dog...
Where did you hear that?

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 07:17:53 PM »
I think it was on Comcast news link....