Author Topic: new foxpro spitfire  (Read 5324 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
new foxpro spitfire
« on: October 01, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Beside UB, anybody plan on getting the new foxpro spitfire, it will be out this month.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: new foxpro spitfire
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 02:09:46 PM »
If I needed another remote caller without all the frills that would be the one I would be gettin.  I imagine they made this one to compete with the johnny stewert remote caller.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 02:15:28 PM »
from what i understand the the sounds are stored on a sd card, i wonder if you can buy a sd card and put more sounds on it and then just switch the cards when needed. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 02:28:54 PM »
I doubt it.  how many sounds does it hold?  I liked my fx-3 it held 32 sounds which was more then enough.  the only thing I did not like was I did not know if the sound was sent or if it was muted or not.  unless you had a perfect signal it sometimes wouldn't go right away and there you are waiting for a sound to change or turn off for a shot.  where with hand calls or a wired caller allready was done playing and the shot was being made.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »
not knocking foxpro,i have 2.

but the mp3 systems with a good mp3 player,and a good pc recording system,i harvest far more with them.

put them in a small plastic,or metel box with some foam on the bottom and the top and it will play 2 nights on 1aaa,and 1 9volt,in 0 degree,on a sheet of ice,with no skips.

also as ive said many coyotes have been killed here the opposite of how you fellows do it,we look at the place we are certain the yote or fox will be coming,which doesnt happen all the time.

we set the call out put the sound we want on repeat,and use the sound that has whatever silence in front we need to get comfortably upwind 100 to 125 yards,this is daylight mind you.

the predator as i have had all fox,coyote,and bobcats will come in downwind of the caller,but when we were hunting downwind we seen very little and harvested very little,so we go upwind in the daytime.and make the shot apast the call,most of the time your average shot is 100 to 200 yards top,i try to limit to 150 but my friend dale shoots a 243 and a 6mm and he takes them many times at 250.

im like ben they all play the same sounds somewhat setup means more than anything.

but like any company they have to introduce new items to stay in business.

my friend bought a call called edge it is about the size of your hand the speaker is builtin and he can add 2gb of sounds,with a sd card.

the built in speaker is clear and loud enough but you can hook in a external,he got a big female last night on a pup distress,with it.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 04:07:17 PM »
question for you TO.  I picture your setup like this.  you set the call down and you walk upwind of the call.  turn around and face the call and the critter comes in further downwind of the call.  is this how I am reading it?  another question.  if that is the case why not just sit the call beside ya and look downwind?  one last question.  I imagine this is for really open woods or for fields correct? 

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 04:13:58 PM »
right,and we kept the call beside us but i really believe with a slight wind your sent is not in the yotes range going upwind,i know according to the predator hunters bible it is backwards but it works far better,keeping the predator just inside shooting range gives him less sent to bust you,,and the main benifit is that you can hunt a slope set the call dow 100 yards you can be high above the yotes nose in a crosswind.

we shot 2 last year with a turkey decoy about 170 to 200 yards away with the call setting under the turkey decoy,if you know theres yotes there record the call so it comes on for 2 minutes every 15 minutes and hunt it like your hunting deer they will show with the lost hen distress sound.

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 04:17:38 PM »
no remote hassle you caan have your gun on the sticks,and there is little movement to get busted,and if you have to move you can,without getting busted,plus you can throw a quik short tune from a mouth call to catch weary ones attention.

sorry about getting off topic.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 04:33:45 PM »
I doubt it.  how many sounds does it hold?  I liked my fx-3 it held 32 sounds which was more then enough.  the only thing I did not like was I did not know if the sound was sent or if it was muted or not.  unless you had a perfect signal it sometimes wouldn't go right away and there you are waiting for a sound to change or turn off for a shot.  where with hand calls or a wired caller allready was done playing and the shot was being made.

i haven't had any issues with the remote yet,  i have been 150 yard below the caller in the woods a couple of times and it has sent the signal immediately. 

a friend of mine has the fp5 and thinks the speakers aren't as good as some other callers, i like the speakers on the fury and it has been getting coyotes to respond.  also, the battery life has been good with the fury, i am on my first set since i got the caller,  it hasn't been cold but it has been about 3 months.   once they die i have some 2400 for the cold. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 07:23:48 AM »
actually to tell ya the truth TO I have started in the last year or so now, using the wind to my advantage more then I used too.  a fella from alabama started telling me how he called coyotes in woodlots and in small openings and after hearing what he had to say I started to apply it.  but what I have done is a bit different.  but uses the same principle.  go to this thread and you can see how I explain on situation. http://www.ppha.us/smf/index.php?topic=2076.0 dang looking at that thread you posted and replyed to it allready.  all of BP's post got deleted a few weeks ago so it isn't that I am talking to myself in there.  me and bp were discussing it.   ;D

the remotes on the new furys are totally different from the old remotes just a few short years ago.  the technology of these calls is advancing so quickly it is unreal.  the new remote works on a totally different frequency compared to the fx-5 or other fx callers.  and the spekers are the same in both the fx-5 fx-3 and pretty much any call foxpro makes.  the difference from what steve has told me is that the sound quality of the processors and new technology available to them makes them sound better then the older callers.  I think the fury is 24bit sound quality.  does it matter?  probably not I know people are still using old js 512 tape callers and killing critters just like the old days.  alot of gear now a days hooks the hunter more then actually uping you callin ratio.  if you do not have the area or setup down it doesn't matter how good the call sounds.  like yotebuster says calling is the easy part the hard part is spending time in the woods scouting and finding good area knowing where your quarry is most of the time.  many of the succesful ones make coyote hunting a part time job not a hobby that they do one or two weekends out of the year.  and sorry for taking it off topic.  but some good info was posted here also.  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:30:08 AM by bigben »

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 08:13:58 AM »
i agree but aa man with a turkey decoy,or just a hand call could produce just as many coyotes..

there was a good article about the eastern coyote in the past issue of predator extreme.

Too few or to hard to call.

it is all location,and setup as you have said.

the main thing i scout is creeks the gotta have water especially in winter or they will freeze.

but as far as a electric call for getting into coyotes here in the east a hand call would work fine.

i havent seen the new remote but the 5 or 6 foxpros ive hunted over the remote worked if you stick your arm in the air and that movement could easily get a hunter busted

when it comes to any electric call i think they are great for fox,but a set of hand calls would work as well or better on our eastern coyotes.

but for fox hunting i think they are nice,your jaws are not spasmed shut after a night of calling unlike mouth calls.

i am having a hard time understanding the price it says 199 or am i looking at the wrong call,and yes ben i agree i keep a log sometimes i may use 3 calls most on a stand,so 24 would be plenty.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 09:10:58 AM »
hand calls are tough for me,  i like the electronics to get the sound away from me.   if i use a hand call it is mostly in Jan or Feb, one lone howl and then move down 100 or so yards and off to the left or right.

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »
I have been calling in quite a few coyotes.....If I hunt myself....I like the electronics with the coyote vocalization on it...Primos Powerdog has to be my favorite caller...However I have called in coyotes with my FX5 too.
Coyotes hone in on the sound area right away...So if your using a mouth call by yourself they know where you are and most times it's over.. That is why when I am huntiing myself I will use the electronics...Or if I can get the jump on the coyotes by the terrain I will use the mouth call...Just say at the top of the ridge calling down into the low lands... Good chance that I will see them before they SMELL me....
However I will use the mouth call if I am huntig with another hunter and he is the shooter...I send him downwind and I use the mouth call...A little luck and a prayer...The coyote will get shot by the person before it hones in on my scent and my position...

All predators not only come into the wind...They will get in line with the loudest part of the sound.  Many a person has called in coyotes with mouth call but did not even know it..
I wish that I would have waited before I purchased my FX5.  Don't get me wrong it's a fine call...However like your all saying things get better all the time and I think the FURY......is far superior to the FX series of calls.

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 08:39:28 PM »
I am going to try a Lohman speaker that is provided with the cheap Lohman CD caller. It has just the right specs to be used with FX series of callers...I am going to try this particular cone speaker with my FX series of caller.
Just remember that you use the correct speaker for any of your callers that you do not destroy the caller.  I try to find out from hunter Specialties what the SPECS are on the JS speakers...Can't seem to find it, specs anywhere on the speaker to see if it's compatible with the FX caller.

Does any one know all the other brands of speakers out there..Which ones are compatible to Foxpro products?

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »
was just checking this call their website, looks like you can get the unit and 24 sounds of your choice, then you could buy an or mulitple memory cards with 24 sounds for about $50.00.  if that is correct the caller would be a great deal.  48 sounds with the unit for under 250.00.  has anyone heard these unit yet?