Author Topic: Remington 700 series rifles bolt become hard to close  (Read 14217 times)

uncle buck

Remington 700 series rifles bolt become hard to close
« on: December 24, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »
I was hunting with a new hunter last night... He couldn't get his Remington SPS 17 Fireball to chamber a load.  last year I had to take my model 788 22250 to a gunsmith to fix the same problem...Gunsmith just said that this was a common problem in Remington... I was just wondering if someone might know what really causes the Remington's bolt action not to work smooth.. I actually stopped the hunter from using his SPS and said use my 24V.  I suggested that he try a factory 17 Fireball round to see if his reloading is causing the problem or if it's again the problem that develop with the Remington 700 series bolt actions..

More and more I can see why I like to use Encore single shots for hunting instead of bolt actions..

Surely you have heard how the 700's are firing when the bolt is just being closed... I notice this on my 17 Rem 700 BDL.. I was chuck hunting and the trigger became locked when I tried to shoot a chuck... As the gun sat in the rest the gun went off 30 seconds later... I never played around with this trigger or did adjustments to it...
I also can swear that the gun fired  (empty) when I closed the bolt in the back of my vehicle..Bolt closed then you hear the click of the firing pin going off.   Of course I have not been using this gun and am going to take it in to have it looked at by my gunsmith...

A few months back I saw a lot of post on huntingpa about how the Remington bolt actions are misfiring when the bolt is closed. 

Remington's.... I just don't know about there bolt action rifles anymore???Just be careful and watch for things like I posted here and if so get the gun to a gunsmith ASAP.

Anyone else having any kinds of problems or seeing problems  with their Remington 700 series bolt actions???
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 01:47:46 PM by uncle buck »

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: Remington 700 series rifles bolt become hard to close
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »
we have several rem bolt actions  model 7 and 700, only issues we had are if you dont clean the grease/ packing lube gunk out of the bolt,when its real cold it wont fire or will have that couple second delay and scare the heck out of you when it goes off. also my model 7 22-250 wont chamber , let the bolt close on the same handloads my buddy uses, im guessin slightly different chamber dimension?? all factory ammo that ive tried seems fine so far.
district #1

Offline dibo (Bob)

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 07:09:40 PM »
Sounds like a dirty bolt in side and two if your using someones reloads fired in another rifle they need to be full length re sized before you try them in your rifle. He may of just necked his casing that he has been reloading.
Live everyday as its your last...

Bob Huston
District 3 Co-Coordinator

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:47:08 AM »
IMO the Rem's are a very poor design that hasn't been changed or fixed in 50 years.  The two position safety always made my scratch my head....why the heck would they do that?

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 10:39:25 PM »
I have several Rem 700's I have problems with two of them. One is a 700 BDL 30-06 that has fired three times on the range when closing the bolt and the other is a 700 BBL .280 that has done the same thing. They just sit in the gun safe. One of these days I'll take them to a gunsmith and have them fixed. It's a shame though you spend a lot of money on a Rem and you can't use it for fear of it going off and causing a tragedy.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 09:02:21 AM »
other is a 700 BBL .280 

Hey Zekedogg, do you want to sell the 280? I like to tinker with guns and the 280 is my pet caliber. If so send me a pm

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 12:55:05 PM »
I think you can send them back to Rem and get them fixed.  Or buy a timny(sp) trigger.

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 07:35:41 PM »
other is a 700 BBL .280 

Hey Zekedogg, do you want to sell the 280? I like to tinker with guns and the 280 is my pet caliber. If so send me a pm

Coyotenightmare I think I'm going to hold onto the 280 and get it fixed, I really like the caliber. Beside I was taught to never sell guns, just buy!  ;D
Rick Comport

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »
I also had a problem once closing the action on a 700 BDL 3006.  It appeared that maybe some gun oil or lubricant collected around the bolt... I was hunting with my son and I cleaned it out in the deer woods... He got an 8 point buck with that rifle.. So could be we all need to watch what kind of lubricants we use on our Remington... I know I was great in spray WD 40 on my guns when I cleaned them.. Could be this is something we want to stay away from and use regular gun products when cleaning guns!!!!?????????

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 11:51:11 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_KVS1hIbQg

That may interest you... I have a lot of free time when I'm not in class, I saw the entire 3 hour special.... Don't Judge me haha

Ryan.
District 4

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 10:56:19 AM »
Coyotenightmare I think I'm going to hold onto the 280 and get it fixed, I really like the caliber. Beside I was taught to never sell guns, just buy! 

Just seeing if you were wanting rid of it. I have a tendency to add guns to my collection that I just don't need. I never pass up a deal on a 280. I love the remington 700 mountain rifles and the remington model seven. I have short arms and these guns fit me very well. My one 280 in the remington 700 mountain rifle will do 2 inch groups at 400 yards. It's 100 yard 3 shot groups can be covered with a dime. I took it elk hunting a couple years ago, and dropped an elk at 468 yards. That was fun, but boning off and packing out the meat in backpacks for 2 miles wasn't.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 10:09:08 PM »
thats why i'll be buying savages, and from what i've been seeing from my rifle and others while shooting, they're better outa the box downrange anyway...and you can't beat that factory trigger...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 09:15:14 AM »
I won a Ruger M77 .270 synthetic stock and stainless barrel at a gun bash and really like the gun. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ruger the next time I'm buying another rifle. I really like the 3 position safety on it. It has fire, safe and when you push it all the way forward it goes into total lock down and the bolt can not be moved at all. 
Rick Comport

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 04:48:59 PM »
thats why i'll be buying savages, and from what i've been seeing from my rifle and others while shooting, they're better outa the box downrange anyway...and you can't beat that factory trigger...

You will spend alot of money to get a gun to out perform a Savage.  Even their cheapest guns are better than most.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »
yeah a few of the guys i know that shoot nothing but sav's swear by them, and recently I went shooting with a group of friends and out shot a ruger m77 in 6.5 creedmore, a .270 in rem 700, and a few custom rifles that cost well over 1000 to build. They then in turn shot my savage, and afterwards they're eyes were saucer like. Even got an offer or two to buy it, but I had to turn'm down. Hopefully, soon I can buy a hornet or a fireball and retire to the .223 to chucks and yotes only, until then it is my only predator rifle.
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"