Author Topic: The 22 Ultra mag  (Read 3946 times)

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
The 22 Ultra mag
« on: November 30, 2010, 02:10:04 AM »
You heard right 22 Ultra mag. To start with I didn't come up with this idea. I just improved on it. It all started here. They called it the 22 Super Mag.

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/apr96reloading.html

Now my round I call it the 22 Ultra mag. The dies are a bushing die that I made and the bullet seating die is one for a 22 Hornet. I then use a 25 APC shell holder.

Which you will see in the Gun Test site.  I start off with a 22 WMR.

I move the ram to the top and with a pair of pliers grab the bullet and lower the ram easy till the bullet is out.

With that done this is what that is left.

I don't use the powder or the bullet. This is where mine is diff. I re size about 1/4 of the case. And use a very small amount of a powder that I won't list here. I will say not in till some of the newer powders had come out. This would not have been possible. I then take my seater die.

And with a 40 gr. Nosler BT I seat it just off of the lands. This is what a loaded round looks like next to a 22 WMR.

I have tested this round with 40 gr. Nosler BT and Hornady 40 gr. V-Max. With some 22 WMR. Here is a target of one of the test. The rifle was a Marlin bolt clip feed. I have to load these one at a time due to how long they are.

I didn't do this to save money cause I didn't. I did it to see if I could improve on a good thing and I did. At the time of this writing I am test with some Hornady 45 gr. SP. Will update at a later time.

Nether I are anyone at WTVH or this forum is liable for the use or misuse of this data.

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: The 22 Ultra mag
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:47:40 AM »
Now that is neat!!
I would be nervous that the shell holder would set the rim off,
How does that work?
I know how a centerfire primer works, but how does a rimfire cartridge ignite?

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:38:05 PM »
They take a case and pore the primer mix in to the case and spin it to spread it in the rim of the case. Then when the fireing pin hit the rim it sets it off. I tried it first with just case. It's not a tight fit in the holder. I run the case up to the top. And it the case with a hammer. It did not go off. I tried other ways to set off the cast with no luck. What little force is used to remove the bullet spread over the intire case not just one small part of it.

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:22:44 PM »
vmaster59,That's a very interesting load.Have you tried it on any predators yet?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
Thanks for the info,
I'd be interested in the kinetic energy and speed of the 40 grainers.
Do you use a bullet comparator to set the oal to the lands?
I didn't think anyone made one for a rimfire