Author Topic: new traps  (Read 3495 times)

Offline sw-nightstalker

• Heading to the woods.
new traps
« on: August 18, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »
I went to Lima, OH for the National Trappers Association Convention in August. I bought 4 dozen new traps and I am getting them ready for this trapping season. I am prepping them to get ready to dye and wax them. I have boiled them in a degreaser, boiled them in lye, and now just put them through the wife's dishwasher and with little luck. These traps have a quite a bit of oil on them. Does anyone have any ideas for me to speed up the rusting process of these traps. I would appreciate some ideas. Thanks
22-250 Remington 700
Savage 93R 17 HMR
Coyote TLR Kill light
Fox Pro Firestorm
Rich

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
Re: new traps
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »
I don't rust my traps or dye them, I just clean and wax.  I bury my trap at almost every set so I just wax.

If you want them to rust quick take a spray bottle and put some bleach in it and spray them down.  They should rust up fast.

Offline sw-nightstalker

• Heading to the woods.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »
Thank you for the info. I will give that a try.
22-250 Remington 700
Savage 93R 17 HMR
Coyote TLR Kill light
Fox Pro Firestorm
Rich

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:32:03 PM »
The best I used was 50% white vinegar and 50% water. Let them soak for a day or two

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:03:13 PM »
I just throw them in my bush for a few weeks then pull them out.  Not the best method but seems to get me by...

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:16:56 PM »
If you boiled them in lye, it should have gotten rid of the oils.  I rinse them well after the lye and hang them outside for a few days.  Don't worry about the rust.  Go ahead and dye and wax.  They will hold the dye better each year.  Like many say, the dye isn't necessary, but I still do it.  Lye, Dye and Wax for me.  I enjoy it and it works for me.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:43:36 AM »
About 8-10 years ago, I stopped dying Canine traps.
I just boil in LYE and WAX nowadays.

I do dye my drags from time to time (I don't know why) but usually boil and wax drags also...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:52:10 AM by Hern »

Offline Grass Stain

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:05:57 AM »
They always seem to rust up pretty quick after they we boiled in lye, but I wouldn't worry to much about it,Trappin John is correct just due them when you get a chance, next year they will dye up real perty, Have fun and keep us posted
"Live Life for what tomorrow has to offer,Not for what yesterday has taken away!"

D.Sapko
District 6