Author Topic: Haybale set  (Read 5851 times)

Offline smokey

• Junior Forum Member
Haybale set
« on: December 11, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »
While deer hunting this week I found a line of old hay bales used as a snow catch.  I noticed fox and coyote tracks on the top of this bale line.  Most of the time...they leap onto them from the same spot as far as the tracks appear.  I was figuring to do a dirt hole set at the spot were they jump onto the bales. 
I am curious if anyone has ever placed a trap on top of a hay bale.  I was figuring on placing a size 2 on top with a cable attatched, or looped through the bailers twine.

Any suggestions?

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Haybale set
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Sounds interesting, but you might have a heavy coyote hanging on the side of the bale? Not sure that is a good thing to happen.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »
IMO you may be better off if you use a extension cable/chain and stake to the ground . I would also maybe make a modified dirt hole set down on the ground next to the bales making the hole for the bait into the bale. You also could make a hayset close .
PPHA District 3

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »
I'm sure they check for mice in between the bales of hay too... If there is an opening between the bales you could put a blind set there...Remember to place a stick or an object that will make them step where the trap is too... While your at it you could make this area an gang set...Just set quite a few traps there..You might get a double or a triple?????Do a dirt hole,  a blind set in between the bales.
You could go back with cable restraints if your qualified and saturate the area too...But you would have to place them away from the bales so the animals don't get hung up anyway....

Buckwheat is right you don't want a coyote hanging from the side.. Some small game hunter would just blast it and take it on you anyway then or if it's near roads the general public would freak out...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:58:50 AM »
I have also seen Bear tracks atop round bale rows. Great Horn Owl pellets too.
Use some of the ole hay and make two hay sets on the down wind side.
Stay off the bale tops and binder twine ain't going to hold a Coyote.

Offline smokey

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:09:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies... Iam gonna hold off untill Wednesday or so to trap this area.  We are getting a heck of winter storm over the next several days.  I will let you guys know what comes of it.  Untill then, im gonna plow snow and get the old smoke house cranked up!

Thanks again,

SMOKEY

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 09:29:10 PM »
I read in a magazine once...that with permission they would dig out a small hole into the bale of hay/straw...then make a dirt hole or hay set in front of the hole in the bale that is a few inches up off the ground...they bait the hole in the bale such as a pocket set...and put lure on top of the bale to get the sent up in the air and moving with the wind...and lure their dirt holes as they usually would...I think they said the hole in the bale was mostly to catch their eye, and make it look like another critter was working the bale for something, or just a hole to get'm too look into and catch'm in the trap offset from the center of the hole...i've never tried it...actually...never trapped canines, only water trapping for me and only a little of that...just saw it in a magazine and thought i'd tell yeah if it helps great...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 01:45:47 PM »
I have a property that I hunt on...The land owner told me that in the winter the coyotes and the fox do lie on top of the stacked bales of hay.They see them there all the time Of course I can go back there and set all kinds of restraints and traps... I can't shoot at them with a rifle since there are house right behind the bales of hay...However I could sneak in prior to daylight and sit in between the bales and maybe shotgun one... Or...probably best and my experience tells me to do this... Get close by and call them from the bales of hay to the nearest field and shoot them there with the rifle in the daytime...