Author Topic: Coyote trapping  (Read 3767 times)

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Coyote trapping
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:28:12 PM »
I need some good advise. I've never attempted to trap a coyote. When I was working I never had the time to do a lot of these fun things. What trap is best, what bait and lure, and what set works best? I may try to trap some fox and raccoons too.
President PPHA

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coyote trapping
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:18:35 PM »
Use a mouse trap first. Once you catch a mouse use a coyote trap next. Once you catch a coyote use a Big Foot Trap next. lol

Renny

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 07:51:11 AM »
Little kids are good for bait........

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:55:19 AM »
Ya, hang some #4 dukes around a kids neck and you're in business

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »
Thanks guys, all good advise. I can see how they all could work. I'll just have to decide which one to try first. Any of you guys know where I can find some kids? Ya know, sometimes you show concern for someone and you become the target. It's just like if your driving down the road and someone pulls out right in front of you so you lay on the horn to avoid an accident and the guy that pulled out and could have caused a disaster gives you the finger. I just can't figure some people out.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:00:36 AM by muttbuster »
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 11:57:04 AM »
I know this trapper in Dauphin county that sales traps that he upgrades and makes them special for coyotes...He makes them stronger of course.  I know the coil springs would be best for strong canines...Also make sure you double stake your traps.  I always figure I would contact him and buy a dozen of the upgraded leg holds.. If your going to do something you my as well have the best leg hold trap.. One that will make sure they will not pull out..  If I was going to buy some just from a trap dealer without modification it would be coil springs..  Now I don't know if a 1 1/2 coil spring is sufficient for coyotes or not?

However now if you want to set cable restraints...Make sure you check your cable restraints every 24 hours not 36 hours...I am going to post a picture of what a coyote can do to a cable restraint..

BUT I GOT HIM!!!!!!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:05:19 PM by uncle buck »

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 12:18:07 PM »
Thank you UB.
President PPHA

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 08:09:11 PM »
Can't use CR's till Dec 26
Bill try a dirthole set or any of its variations.
for coyotes, I like a #2 offset, fully modified