Author Topic: Snapper HuntN  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Snapper HuntN
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:47:59 PM »
 A couple snappers My son and I caught Saturday morning.  Should make for good soup.

I also found some White Chicken Mushrooms and made some Wild Mushroom Soup.  Thanks for the mushroom help UB.

"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

Re: Snapper HuntN
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:26:37 PM »
Um? I have heard of the white chicken mushrooms but can't remember ever seeing any in the wild? I just find the Sulfur...Orange on top yellow on the bottom...

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:28:56 PM »
Hopefully they were oysters,
I've never seen a white sulfur shelf, always orange on top yellow on the bottom.

Nice turtles Timmy, never saw I guy catching turtles in shoes like that
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 04:32:36 PM by Leglifter »

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 06:08:03 PM »
Tim, how long do you have to soak the turtles before you can make them soup? The only turtles I've ever eaten were chocolate filled with peanuts. They were pretty tasty.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:09:33 PM by muttbuster »
President PPHA

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »
How do you cook the fingers attached to the turtles mouth? LOL

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »
UB.  I bought the field guide to pennsylvania mushrooms the other day.  I thought they were the white ones because they were very pale not vibrant yellow and orange.  I found them growing on a rotting log beside the turtle pond.  They may have been the regular young chicken mushrooms.  Either way the book said they are both great to eat and they sure were.  I was suprised that my boys enjoyed them so much.

To the rest of you guys, you are too funny.  This is the first attempt at turtle soup.  I have had the turtles soaking in fresh water for two days now and there is still a lot of stuff coming out.  I change the water two times a day.  I read where you should soak them for four days.

Bob, I think you are jealous of the turtle shoes.  What size do you wear so I can hook you up.

Earl.  I'm trying my best not to get bit.  Had a couple close calls already.  That big turtle can really reach out there and touch someone.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:57:15 PM »
How are you catching them?  Cool videos.   :)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 08:37:46 AM »
Turtle hook tied to 20 feet of 550 paracord or mason twine.  Bait with something stinky like chicken gizzards, fish, beaver, deer, groundhog, ETC.  Tie off to a tree or stake into the ground.  throw your lines in the evening and check in the morning.  Repeat until you pull turtles in.  It's not the most exciting thing in the world but it is a unique experience.  And the kids like it.  Anything that gets us outdoors more is better in my book.