Author Topic: Uncle Buck, Lookn4fur, coyotenightmareonelmstreet  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Uncle Buck, Lookn4fur, coyotenightmareonelmstreet
« on: May 04, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »
Was just out mowing a wild area on our property and spotted one. Off the tractor and found two.
Am not a 'shoom hunter, but are these what I think they are?

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Uncle Buck, Lookn4fur, coyotenightmareonelmstreet
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:35:03 PM »
They are hollow thru and thru.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 04:16:21 PM »
Looks like it
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:59:29 PM »
Yes sir Hern
Those are yellow morels
Take a good look at those Timmy boy

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 09:18:41 PM »
Yep Hern Like other said that be them... go back and get down on your hands and knees...There should be more around where you found those... It does come in a semi and black form too.. you did find some of the best kind of Morel's!!!Keep checking back at that spot... Just found out a new recipe for any kind of edible shrooms..

Butter and Pop Corn Seasoning..

Saute shrooms in butter... Add pop corn seasoning and serve warm... I can't wait to try this myself... Simple but suppose to taste real good!!!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 07:12:45 AM »
Thanks folks.
Do morels get taller? My wife said maybe you should let them get taller. I thought they were ready to harvest.
Just from looking at pictures on different message board over the years, they looked like the right size.
I saw a few in this area a few years ago.

Uncle Buck I'll walk back and look for more in a few minutes, but I did mow that area.
How often will they popup? Do they popup overnight? 
What is their growing period, as in: days, weeks, all summer and fall??

Thanks again guys.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »
I think I found more...
Are these Morels? Am pretty sure they are.

I hunted between 2 small dirt piles at the back line. Yesterday I spotted two just inside the grass (backside of weeds). Fur shed and out buildings in the background.

I also checked one of our Bluebird boxes.
Cool morning, Mom sitting tight...

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:06:08 AM by Hern »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:15 PM »
Thanks folks.
Do morels get taller?yes as long as they retain the moisture and humidity they need to keep growing My wife said maybe you should let them get taller. I thought they were ready to harvest.
Just from looking at pictures on different message board over the years, they looked like the right size.
I saw a few in this area a few years ago.

Uncle Buck I'll walk back and look for more in a few minutes, but I did mow that area.
How often will they popup? Do they popup overnight?  Id say if you look real good and dont see any, come back and look in a week
What is their growing period, as in: days, weeks, all summer and fall??spring, when the dogwoods are in bloom and the mayapples are getting some noticable size

Thanks again guys.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 08:04:20 AM »
Leglifter, thanks for the information.

My wife ask where I found 'em. I pointed back there. Later, she ask be the walk with her and we went back to the spot and she found 2 more!
A small and medium. She didn't pick 'em instead she wants to watch their progress and growth.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 09:02:13 AM »
Better put a cage over em cause deer turkeys and other crotters eat em too
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »
Nice find Hern! Where did you say you live? ;D After this coming rain some more might come up. I hope to be able to take off some Wednesday or Thursday and do some looking. If I can't then, I will definitely be looking Saturday. Now that I have turkeys out of the way I need to find some of them things and a couple gallons of peanut oil to try out my new turkey fryer.  ;)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »
Nice find Hern.  Nightmare, I know where he lives.  But he probably has traps set all around for guys like you and me. Lol ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 10:43:09 PM »
Hern the window is three weeks.. But if conditions become good or bad it can extend or shorten...Critters will eat them so yes don't let them out there too long.. Good advice to place basket wire basket over them if you want them to grow a bit..Bugs will eat them so don't let them out to long..

Now take about  three or four Morels.. place them in a brown lunch bag... place them on top of your frig I'd say for about  3 days... You actually just dried them for storage if you do this.. place them in a container or plastic bag and keep them in the frig... Come Christmas Morning you can have yourself an outstanding Christmas Omelet!  Just add a little hot water to make them come back as fresh Morels. You might see a few dead bugs in the paper bag but understandable since they will be inside of the Morel's.  Just discard the critters...
I have yet to try this but I will... Saute the shrooms in butter, add Popcorn Seasoning and serve warm.. You can do this with any mushrooms even store mushrooms of all kinds of varieties..
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:46:36 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 10:57:29 PM »
I have a nice crab meat/oyster cracker stuffing recipe that I stuff into a half ( sliced in half longways) morel. top with mozzerella and baked until the cheese is lightly browned.
They are awesome

Jim,
Ive let them grow for 3-4 weeks after locating them as long as its not too wet or too dry
and they not only double, if not triple in size but there is more of them to pick.
Also they have time to drop spores
mind you, I only do this in low pressure places

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 07:23:27 AM »
Thanks again folks, great info.

My wife checked and said the two left standing... 1 has grown (in weeds) and 1 no progress (in grass and problaly drove on with tractor or atv).
She did find another large Morel. This is split in the side. Maybe grew out of it's hide? She picked it. Is this split side Morel still table fare?