Author Topic: Question for the mechanics out there?  (Read 3159 times)

uncle buck

Question for the mechanics out there?
« on: July 12, 2010, 07:59:42 PM »
My Chrysler van...Having problems with it.. it's not an electrical problem. Got the electrical system checked and it's  OK there.

Upon turning the key the vehicles flutters and spurts... Then I have to pump the accelerator maybe up to 9 times before it turns over..

Garage I took it too...Said they could not find anything wrong with it.. In other words it turned over for them all the time no sputters or no pumping of the accelerator.. Taking it back to the Chrysler dealer tomarrow and really don't want them to say they can't find anything wrong with it again... Just want to tell them ...It's the fuel pump, etc etc etc..

Anyone have any input on what it could be?

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Question for the mechanics out there?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 08:11:38 PM »
Converter may be clogged. If vehicle looses power or boggs down that is another clue.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:14:25 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline mountainfox

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • '09-10 Bobcat
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 08:15:17 PM »
I'm no licensed mechanic UB, but if I were in your situation, I'd lean towards either the fuel pump, or possibly the fuel filter, or as fp51 said if it looses power it might be the converter especially if its getting up there in mileage
~mountainfox

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:20:48 PM »
Might want to try starting without touching the gas pedal. Turn key on and wait for 5-10 seconds before turning the key to start. If it doesn't start and you can get under the van far enough, hit the gas tank with a RUBBER mallet. You might hear the fuel pump start buzzing and the van should start. Bad fuel pump.

Note~ there is two fuel filters on most. The primary(the ones that we all know) and one in the tank @ the pump.

The converter~ if the converter is plugged your engine will run hotter than normal and in some cases the exhaust pipe,from the motor to the converter, will get extremely hot if not cherry red !!! The car still should start but will lack power and maybe some white smoke out the exhaust. NOTE~never park your car in the garage if this condition happens as a fire is possible !!!!!

Is your "check engine" light on ?
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:03:35 PM »
I appreciate all the info to date.. The vehicle does not lose any power once it does turn over. I can drive it through traffic, stop at stop signs then proceed, stops at traffic lights and it appears to be running normal..There are no engine lights coming on what so ever or no service soon lights.
Tomarrow when I go in to the Chrysler Dodge Dealer I purchase this from I will be prepared to kind of tell them what I think it is.. I don't like that they just say it turned over for us so we can't do anything for you.

So I think we can now rule out the Converter since it's not running hot and there is not loss of power what so ever...

A friend that knows cars...Told me based on the symptoms he thinks it might be the Idle Air Control IAC.  I also did what he said to do and it turned over then.
I pumped the accelerator first  a bit then took my foot off totally.Then just turned the key and it turned over.   He also suggested to do what Longhair said just turn the key just slight pressure on the accelerator, do not pump the accelerator since the Chrysler Town  & County is Fuel Injected..

What bad if when I take it over there and they turn it over they say they can't find anything wrong with it they don't want to pursue it further.. I can now tell them I need to check this stuff.. education for me ? The year 2010 could it be I don't find out what is wrong with it until I totally break down somewhere and can't get it to turn over.. Oh maybe somewhere when I am out of town.. LOL LOL

The lesson learned here is I thought they could put things on a computer and they can tell where there is something wrong.. However I think for that to happen you need the service engine light to come on and thats not happening. It suppose to record somewhere on the computer and show just where the problem is in a vehicle..Thats how the Foxmobile is anyway!!!!As some of you know the Foxmobilie is a 1996 saturn SL 2 not a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country Van..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:30:24 PM by uncle buck »

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:27:11 PM »
How many miles on the van?

If over 50,000 it may actually be the plugs are fouled.  Also, you may be getting some moisture in the fuel line from the humidity.  Try getting some dry gas into the tank your next fill up or injector cleaner.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:09:36 PM »
Let us know what you come up with,UB. I really didn't want to get into the "sensor" aspect of it. IT'S TOOOOOOOO EXPENSIVE !!!!!!!!! :o
Whatado !!!!
District 6

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 08:22:10 AM »
The vehicle is not acting up what so ever.. I really drove it hard the past two days and took it all over the place with no problems or symptoms. Last week when I took it to the dealer and had them look at the vehicle. They could not find anything wrong with it.. I decided to just cancel the appointment instead of giving them another $42 dollars for JACK.
Prior to this I just put in a brand new battery.  Initial the problem was the battery.
It might be that the Idle Air Control valve was sticking because of how I was turning it over..

Anyway thank you for all the good input.. I learned something about problems like this from your post.. Hope I never get the other symptoms that some of you were ID for me.

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »
When in dought..........close your eyes and floor it. ;D Either you'll bust it good or just blow out the cobwebs. ;)
Whatado !!!!
District 6

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 08:56:12 PM »
It still working great now..Maybe it was just some carbon build up in the Idle Air Valve??????

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 09:02:02 PM »
The weak/bad battery,with all the electronics nowadays, can make a problem be very diffacult to find. Drive it like you stole it !!!!! ;D
Whatado !!!!
District 6