Author Topic: I'll get by with a little help from my friends  (Read 5333 times)

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Re: I'll get by with a little help from my friends
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 12:12:02 AM »
It aint smoking...but i'm workin on almost 2 years of quitin my dippin...I have no idea what to really say to you to keep you going...I just keep thinkin bout how many people will get on me if I started chewin again...you just gotta get mentally tough...and chew lots of gum and eat lots of sunflower seeds...lol...other than that I have no idea what to do to reverse the effects...good luck buddy!
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

uncle buck

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 08:08:20 PM »
Nicotine.........Wow don't care if it be cigars, cigs, pipe,  and or the dread snuff......
While in the U. S. Coast Guard.....I tried to quit smoking a pipe...While at sea I would take the pipes and throw them in the Gulf Of Mexico...Always thought someday someone is going to find all those pipes at the bottom of the Gulf and wonder just how they got there....Never truly quit even after I got out....Still smoked a pipe and that Cherry Blend.  Burned many a hole in my shirts.  I smoked a pipe and chewed Skoal off and on.  the dreaded Eadtern Sportsman Show.  Free Kodiak and Free Skoal when you visit there...Quit but going there all the free samples would get me hooked again......It has now been 11 years since I had the dreaded nicotine fits and that stuff in my blood stream.....

Here are the things that made me really quit the snuff....

I  lost a friend to cancer...Guy smoked real heavy and ended up with a brain tumor...
My gums would bleed at times from the Skoal.  My dentist warned me of white spots on my gum from chewing..
My wife told me that if I kept this stuff up I would not get to enjoy my grandchildren and or a  dream of having a hunting cabin someday.....

No one can make you quit.....Your going to have to want to do it...Hope when any of you quit it's not because of losing a friend to cancer.   Having your gums bleed,  etc etc etc.

Wow....11 years have gone by since my last chew...Also if you quit reward yourself too. Buy a gun or something nice with the money you would have peeded away on cigs and or the dreaded nicotine....
Say to yourself if I quit I can buy a Rem 17 Fireball in about a year......Save that money every week too that you would spend for nicotine products.   Put it in a jar or deposit it to your bank account each week and or month....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:09:48 PM by uncle buck »

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »
Thanks UB, it has been one month today and I'm still going strong. I left for Wyoming an the 21st and by the time I hit Iowa I had to find a Hospital because I had Pink Eye in both eyes and I could hardly see. I got some Eye drops and went on my way. In a cpl days I could see a little better but I had lots of trouble breathing. I killed a 50 lb male yote and by the time I carried a couple hundred yards up hill I needed to find another Hospital because I was having a problem breathing. I found another Desert Mash unit so I went in. This time they did blood work, checked my oxygen level took some chest xrays. It was then I found out that I had pneumonia in my right lung and was told "no hunting". Well, that sucked and all I could do was a whole lot on nothing. I continued taking me meds and being a good boy till Saturday when it warmed up and the wind finally stopped blowing. That's when I decided to go trout fishing in the Big Horn River. I was doing pretty good as i had just landed my fourth Trout when the river bottom decided to give way and Both of my waders filled up with ice cold water. Thats when my fishing rod became a "flying rod" and I decided to get out and climb up the bank to the Jeep. Do you know how much hip waders weigh when their full of water?  A lot! So I drove back to Worland soaking wet and took a hot shower. I'm back in Pittsburgh now and my doctor says I'm improving nicely except for the case of "dry eye" that I have now that I'm home. Other than that, I'm still not smoking.
President PPHA