Author Topic: I'll get by with a little help from my friends  (Read 5334 times)

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
I'll get by with a little help from my friends
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:49:22 PM »
Alright, I need a little support from my friends. I have been a smoker for forty years. For the last few years I smoked 2 packs a day. Last Tuesday I decided that it was my time to quit. So I went to Target and bought the patch. Tuesday morning on my way to the Airport I smoked my last cigarette. I have done some permanent damage to my lungs with COPD and I really need to stay off of them so I can get to know my Grandchildren when my daughters decide that it 's time to have them. I hunt, climb, work out, and push myself as hard as I can when I am home. I'm 54 and soon will be 55. Can anyone give me so help on what I can do to reverse the 40 years of stupid smoking that I have done?
President PPHA

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: I'll get by with a little help from my friends
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:13:17 PM »
I don't think you can truely reverse the damage you've done.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 11:16:07 PM »
Thanks, I really needed to hear that. I may not but I will die trying.
President PPHA

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 11:23:57 PM »
I wasn't trying to be rude Dave, I know the facts. I just refuse to accept them.
President PPHA

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 11:47:37 PM »
talk to your doctor about chantix.

it has some scetchy side effects.....it may not be right for you. but those that i know who have taken it said it help tremendously.

there is a book out there right now that reading it alone has helped 4 family and friends of mine quit by the time they closed the back cover of the book. my one friend who read it and quit is getting me a copy so i can kick the cancer sticks too. my father died of lung cancer from the smokes..and i have a 7yr old son...i have every reason to quit. i'm not sure if i believe it about this book(cant remember the title for the life of me at the moment) but when i get the title i can let you know...or you can wait till i'm done reading and if it worked for me i'll send it along to you.
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 11:55:03 PM »
Good luck Mutt on quit'n. First and formost you have to have the will to stop. And if you have that, everything else kinda falls into place. Again, GOOD LUCK. ;)
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:06:14 AM »
I don't think you can truely reverse the damage you've done.

dave they did a study and paid college professors,etc,..for 15 years..that smoke 1.5 to 2 packs a day.

after 15 years the smokers who took vitamin c was nea a person that did not even smoke.

here is just a little about vitamin c and smoking.

Vitamin C may offer important protective benefits for smokers and those who are passively exposed to tobacco smoke. Smoking has been linked with elevated levels of C-reactive (CRP) protein, an inflammatory marker linked with an elevated risk of cardiovascular disease. As Life Extension readers know, it is crucial to monitor your CRP levels through regular blood testing and to keep your CRP under control in order to limit cardiovascular problems. Fortunately, vitamin C has been shown to play a role in helping to combat excessive CRP levels.

Researchers in Berkeley evaluated the impact of antioxidant supplementation on blood levels of CRP in both active and passive smokers.24 They studied 160 healthy adults who were actively or passively exposed to cigarette smoke and randomly assigned to receive placebo, vitamin C (515 mg/day), or an antioxidant mixture (including vitamins C, E, and lipoic acid). Subjects in the vitamin C group underwent a significant 24% reduction in their plasma CRP concentrations, while neither of the other groups showed a significant change. This remarkable result provides strong support for chronic supplementation with vitamin C, whether or not you smoke.

Smoking causes cancer in part by directly damaging DNA, which is a vital first step in the onset of cancer. In studying the effect of vitamin C supplements on reducing DNA damage in blood cells, Danish researchers gave relatively low doses (500 mg/day) of vitamin C as plain-release or slow-release tablets combined with vitamin E (182 mg/day), or placebo, for four weeks to a group of male smokers.25 The slow-release formulation of vitamin C reduced the number of DNA damage sites measured in white blood cells just four and eight hours after a single tablet, a positive result that was still evident at four weeks. The plain-release tablets also exerted a protective effect at four hours, suggesting benefits of long-term vitamin C supplementation in minimizing DNA damage.

Once DNA is damaged, however, smoking induces pro-inflammatory changes that can allow a malignant cell to become a dangerous tumor as well as causing blood vessel damage associated with atherosclerosis. Vitamin C supplementation is a logical approach to reducing the impact of these inflammatory changes, as was shown recently by a British investigative team.15 They studied 10 smokers with the high-risk lipoprotein ApoE4 gene as well as 11 non-smokers, all of whom took just 60 mg/day of vitamin C for four weeks. Remarkably, these high-risk smokers on this low-dose regimen responded with a marked reduction in levels of a host of pro-inflammatory cytokines. As the authors themselves pointed out, this study identified core molecular mechanisms that help explain the known benefits of vitamin C supplementation in smokers.

Literally scores of other studies have been published demonstrating the benefits of vitamin C supplements in smokers and those passively exposed to cigarette smoke. One study found that 500 mg of vitamin C twice daily for just two weeks reduced the depletion of vitamin E caused by smoking by up to 50%.26

Two other studies investigating low and high doses of vitamin C supplementation revealed its benefits in improving endothelial function, a cornerstone of cardiovascular health, known to be impaired in smokers. The first study showed that just 60 mg of vitamin C daily given to a group of smokers for 12 weeks improved endothelial function as assessed by flow-mediated vasodilation.27 In the second study, Dutch researchers found that 2,000 mg/day of vitamin C for two weeks reversed endothelial dysfunction caused by the abnormal migration of monocytes7 implicated in atherosclerosis.28

Furthermore, Berkeley public health researchers successfully reduced levels of F2-isoprostanes, a sign of oxidative stress and cell damage, in a group of 67 passive smokers who were given vitamin C supplements daily for two months. The researchers stressed the value of these findings in preventing tobacco smoke-induced health damage in non-smokers.14

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:11:32 AM »
Thanks guys, I haven't had a smoke for 7 days. I can't let myself get weak and start back up again. It is very tough to not smoke. My Dad died from COPD at 71 but he suffered for many years prior to that. Of all the stop smoking aids available,  none of them will make you quit. You truly have to want to quit to make it happen. And I do. I've eaten so many toothpicks in the last 7 days I feel like a Beaver. The next thing you know I'll be building a "lodge" in my swimming pool.
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 12:51:59 AM »
7 days......your closer to quitting now then starting again...Just keep that in your mind what you said about your grandchild. You have to have something like that in your mind to make you quit..Also you all ready have been told it's not good for you so that too will stay in your mind...The withdrawal should not be as bad now as it was the first day..

We will be praying for you too......That helps a lot........Chew Gum,  eat hard candy, things like that but do not take another smoke and you will be over the withdrawal symptoms before you know it... 

I quit chewing 10 1/2 years ago and what caused me to stop is what your starting to worry about... A chance to enjoy my grandchildren. 

Good Luck and may God Bless you and give you the strength to endure the withdrawal until it finally subsides and goes away.
In Jesus Name , amen.... 

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 06:01:41 AM »
  Glad to hear your attempting to make a healthier choice Bill. I smoked for 14 years and quit cold turkey twice. Some advice would be.
  Don't substitute your cravings with food. I got up to 240+ pounds after quiting for 2 years. So I started smoking again.

And most importantly, punish yourself when you get cravings. Example, When I quit the (the 2nd time) I was also serious about getting back into shape. So my theory was kill 2 birds with one stone. When I got a craving I would run or walk briskly if it was daylight or do as many push ups to switch focus from my cravings. Pretty soon my arms would be tired and I would literally hate those cigarettes so bad.

Best way to quit is to sleep off the first couple hours. The first time I quit I took advantage of a cold. I would sleep as much as possible and I got passed my 1st day pretty easy.

Bill, don't start thinking that stopping will have no positive effects. Quitting will only add to your quality of life. Your lungs will get stronger. Heck, you might even leave the car at home and start walking miles to hunt like I do.  STAY STRONG!
FayetteNam

Offline BP

• long live the ppha
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 06:33:59 AM »
Bill, I had good luck with the nicotene lozenges.  Sometimes I had to chew 'em up to get a proper dose ;), but they helped alot.  If you're in the right frame of mind, and it sounds like you are, you'll succeed.  If you made it a week, you're already over the biggest hurdle.  Surround yourself with quitters ;) and watch you don't take up food as a new habit.

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 08:28:50 AM »
Thank you all for the great advise. Day 8 and going strong!
President PPHA

Offline BP

• long live the ppha
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 01:01:41 PM »
I've always wondered....

...What do the patches taste like?

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »
I can't answer that one but I can tell you what toothpicks taste like.
President PPHA

Offline edhunts5

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »
Congrats on the attempt to quit smoking.  Smoked for 20 years and tried number of times to quit.  From my experience Chantix was "it" no cravings and able to stop smoking 18 months now.  just remember its a drug unlike any other any even after 18 months still get urges to smoke  Good luck