Author Topic: Oh I'm going to call at the pond since predator do need to drink water?  (Read 2371 times)

uncle buck

One of my post to just make you think about cover.. A predator hunter will walk into a pond and call because they think...Predators need to drink water so they will come to the call there...

See the predators will already be at the pond feeding on prey that needs to drink water...if you walk in by the pond to call your going to scare them away...Think this way about cover and things like ponds... Call from just a legal area to the pond and you will call the predators to you instead of scaring them away...Also don't walk down to the good cover... Call from where it's legal to the good cover...Remember to set the call up or have a person call with the wind at their back or the speaker aimed down wind.. Just set up down wind of he speaker but don't go down by the pond or the good cover.. You can do this after you make your first stand and nothing comes from the pond or the cover... You can make your 2ND stand at the pond or good cover and call them to that area then from afar...

Truly if you want more call In's less is better... Less I mean less walk in distance..Think if you get where it legal...25 yards and call or you walk in 200 yards to call...Any predators that were at 50 yards to the 200 yard mark have already busted you... First stands most times.....less distance is better...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:01:12 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

Re: Oh I'm going to call at the pond since predator do need to drink water?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 05:41:54 PM »
By the way...You want to set your cable restraints on all the trails going up and down from the pond but not call there on your first set..  LOL LOL

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Oh I'm going to call at the pond since predator do need to drink water?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 06:40:18 AM »
Canines do visit ponds. Ponds in the mountains or on a farm. I have proven that by setting traps at ponds.
I think the Caninines look/wait for Muskrat, Beaver, Rabbits and small rodents. I have seen in the snow, Fox sitting in wait at a Muskrat snow tunnel. I have seen in the snow, Coyote (and Bobcats) waiting at a Beaver trail.
I agree with UB, work the ponds over.

UB, go ahead and Call those ponds the first nite with CR's set. I call many of my trapping locations during all parts of the season. Don't care if I shoot 'em or trap 'em...lol.