Author Topic: mossberg 817-17hmr  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
mossberg 817-17hmr
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:57:29 AM »
Im looking for a plinker gun for the grandkids when there around and was wondering if anyone has 1 of these and how they are for accuracy, I intend to use it for a ground hog or 2 that come in the yard once in a while. I know they are a fairly cheap gun about 160 bucks

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: mossberg 817-17hmr
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:01:42 PM »
I honestly have not shot a mossberg 17 hmr but have shot every other brand of 17.For a young shooter its one of the lightest guns in the mix so would be easy to handle.If you do get one let us know how it performs.If your looking for a tack driver the CZ is hard to beat but its a little harder on the wallet.

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 09:42:29 PM »
well after doing some reserch on the mossbergh I have found that guys are having trouble with the bolt not locking down and getting some blow back . and they are saying savage is the best bang for your buck, thats not saying savage is the best by no mean, there are other gun makers out there and there guns are as good , but if you want a fairly cheat gun in the 17hmr then that may be the gun to buy

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Some of the Savages are very accurate especially the heavy barrel models.I agree for the money Savage would not be a bad choice.

Offline Chuckieo

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »
I have a marlin 17hmr and I shoot dimes at 50 yds. I have a nice bipod and sling on it. My only regret is I have a straight 4 power scope. I wish I had a variable to this day. It would come in handy on zooming in on a squirrel's head. I love it. I've killed quite a few fox with it. IMO I would much rather have that 17hmr than a 22LR. I don't think there is any comparison, except the 22 shells are cheaper. I'd rather pay the extra money for 50 shells for the 17hmr and have a hiigh performance rimfire for plinking, squirrel hunting and those groundhogs.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »
The hmr is a Little hard on squirrels ,not bad but if I was looking for the perfect squirrel gun it would be the 17 mach 2.The savage and marlin rimfires can be good shooters but not always.I have shot some that were very poor for accuracy but some especially the heavy barrel models can shoot with the best.

Offline Chuckieo

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:07 AM »
LOL, yes they are a little hard on squirrel. I found that out. Mine has a heavy barrel and therefore a bipod. I can't shoot it well at all offhand. It's just too heavy for me to hold steady.