Author Topic: Pups  (Read 3296 times)

longhair

Pups
« on: July 02, 2007, 10:36:04 PM »
I got a question ??? About this time of year, are the fox pups red as the adults or are they brown with some black ??? I need some expert advice !!!!!

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Pups
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 10:00:39 AM »
no expert, but never seen brown and black fox kits... always been seeing red ones...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
Pups
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:22:48 AM »
every fox kit that i've seen in the past 2 weeks (about 8 or so) have all been red with black feet and white tipped tail....just like mom & dad.
but.....there is a melasic or cross fox running around about 3miles from my house, i wouldn't doubt that if it had kits they too may have that dark coloration.
another possibility is that a female red fox in your area came into heat late...or was bred late in the winter. and she just now had her kits. when red fox are first born they have a brownish coat with white tipped tail. but, the only problem with that is...i think that the kits would have grown into their red coats before mamma would allow them to adventure out of the den.
did you see a kit close to a den...or out milling around?
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

longhair

Pups
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:47:48 PM »
Laying on top of a round bale of hay. They ( there was two of them ) were waiting for dinner I think. They heard my quad but didn't move till I stopped. This bale was maybe 60 yards from where I've been putting all the groundhogs that me and another guy have shot. Oh yea, I pick up the road kill and put it there too. Maybe I can train them to come to this area with just me giving them a whistle.  :roll:

longhair

Pups
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »
After doing some research and talking to some other people, I'm almost certian that they were yote pups.  8)