Author Topic: Steelhead fishing  (Read 3838 times)

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Steelhead fishing
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:48:24 AM »
 Are the steelheads in yet? What creeks are the best to fish steelheads with a flyrod in Erie? Thanks

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Re: Steelhead fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:00:54 AM »
Elk Creek is big enough that you can fly fish without too much trouble, and there are places that will be crowded as all get out but its the one creek we fished hard that you can actually walk down trails and get away from other people with plenty of fish to be had, so get a map, travel to get to some places. We started near a RV/camping area, parked there and walked for awhile to get away. Walnut is very popular as well, and you can fly fish it, but its more of a rolling cast type area for the most part. If you get a map, there are tons of streams to fish for steelies, 20 mile creek is another off the top of my head. I truely love to fish Elk Creek though, and with the fishing pressure, believe it or not we slammed them just after a slight rain, which murked up the water just enough that they couldn't see you from shore, and the raising water levels also triggers them to move which in turn makes'm wanna eat. Good luck FP51, let me know if you have any questions. Btw, most bait shops up there will weight your fish for you, and give you the weight back in trout already smoked if you wish or fillet your fish for a dollar or two. I think poor richards is closed now, that used to my bait shop of choice, but there is another major one still in operation within Erie.
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »
Thanks critterslayer, Heading up to elk in the morning. I wanted to call you but can't find your number. Give me a call if you can. I need info on Elk creek. Thanks Earl 412-818-9170

Claybird

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:05:50 PM »
go after it rain

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:41:07 PM »
Earl sorry, never seen this post. The place I fished was called falls end or something like that, the bait shop would be able to tell you the name of it...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:41:33 PM by Critterslayer51 »
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline morrisblueivy

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
Saw that all of these post were from fall... we are going up in March...has anyone flyfished in the spring? what bait works best?

Offline screamn in the nite

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »
gets fly fished from september clear up until the spring. Guys have luck on all sorts of fly's, bait's, and lures. I've had good luck in march. Typically it's better to fish in the fall when fresh fish come in with every heavy rain. The longer they're in the streams the more educated and wary they become. Good luck and enjoy  8)

Offline screamn in the nite

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 11:28:23 PM »
Hey morrisblueivy. If you are new to fishing stealhead in the erie area I can send you copies of maps. Shows legal parking areas and open stretches of stream. People are funny about land access and parking up there. E-mail me for more info at rccj40@yahoo.com  if interested.

Offline morrisblueivy

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »
I'm going with my daughters school fish club .access shouldn;t be aproblem just have no idea what i'm doing for steelhead.