Author Topic: shotguns for predators  (Read 3314 times)

Offline predhunter23

shotguns for predators
« on: March 17, 2014, 09:23:55 PM »
Im looking for some advice on a good shotgun to use for coyotes. Preferably a semi auto! Thanks

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: shotguns for predators
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »
For the most part a shotgun is a shotgun, where you see a difference IMO is the choke tube, and the type of shot you use. Different loads will pattern different out of each choke you use. It's all in what you want. It can get expensive to test out even 2-3 types of chokes and 2-3 types of shells.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »
I agree with Bowman....Shotguns are a personal preference.  They make cheap ones and expensive ones.  Go with what fits your shoulder and feels good when you pull it up.  Some people like the pistol grip,  I've never shot one of those though.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline predhunter23

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »
Thanks for the input! It's one of those guns where I would like to also use it for bird hunting and turkey. Its really frustrating trying to narrow down which one fits for both of those categories haha

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:33:20 PM »
That's the good thing with choke tubes. They make the gun very versatile. A quick switch and you go from turkey to yotes then back again.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 04:54:20 AM »
 ;) IMO an all round good shotgun is the Remington 870, sure it's a pump but it can fill your needs without having to rob a bank  :o and if money is no problem then a camo Remington 11-87 would fill your semi needs  8) if you were just hunting predators I would say a Remington SP-10 would fit the bill, but then we are up to almost a grand in price  ??? ??? ??? You can't tell I like Remington shotguns can you??? LOL  :P :P :P
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 05:31:46 AM »
Goosehunter....There's a reason every police department in the country at one time or another used the Remington 870!!  They are a good reliable shotgun.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 08:45:18 AM »
not all shotguns are created equal.  my sons benelli sbeII is designed to shoot 60 to 80 percent of the pattern high, which is terrible for predators but great for birds.  you have to change out a spacer to bring the shot down.  my predator shotgun is set up where the top of the pattern is hitting the bull with most of the pattern being low. 

we shoot mostly lead BBs, which pattern the best out of a full choke in mutiple guns.  benelli, cz, tristar, savage. 

dead coyote choke tubes like dead coyote (T) and 4 buck.   

also we get good patterns with 4 buck and mod. 

to answer your question, i am ordering a beretta outlander 300 soon imo should be a pretty good shotgun for the price. 

Offline predhunter23

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 03:44:53 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! Let me know how that Beretta works for you, I have my eye on the weatherby sa 08, franchi affinity and possibly even a Stoeger 3500