Author Topic: Coon trap'n and Coyote call'n with the weather  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Coon trap'n and Coyote call'n with the weather
« on: December 09, 2013, 06:08:07 AM »
Sunday morning I made 2 stands to call Coyote, near our home. I thought with storm front moving in I had a good chance for Coyote. Nothing. No sightings or shots fired.
Last weekend I set 14 DP's for Coon for the upcoming warm front. I felt Coon should me moving and tried to take advantage what mother nature was giving me.
No record setting catch but was happy with almost a dozen and a half Coon last week. I pulled those sets for this week. I also had a 53 hour work week last week, wish I could've had 5-6 dozen DP's out last week. Am envious of you retired guys.
Saturday morning, I had the pleasure to Deer hunt with our son in Pennsylvania. Due to his military career, it's been 20 years since we hunted together here in Pa. He did kill a large Doe by 9 am. Running, one shot, rolled like a Rabbit. What fun. What laughs. Our son told me what happen, we walked to Deer and snow told the same story.
Over the years, together he and I hunted, trapped, called predators, fished and camped out in several different states. He and his wife and grandson moved back to the area 2 months ago, it's good to have them back home.

Even a part-timer (me) can take advantage of the weather and fronts moving in and out, either way, trap'n or call'n.
Some Coon by working the weather...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:03:59 AM by Hern »

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coon trap'n and Coyote call'n with the weather
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:54:56 AM »
 ;) Great read Hern and I'm glad you got to spend time with your son, those are cherished moments  :) Lil Goose killed his first deer this year, a doe.  Yea, I did all of the work after the "Bang",  but at least I was there to share the moment, just like 4 years ago when my daughter got her first deer, I was there... ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
Hern, has your boy retired or was his term was up.  Seems not to long ago we were talking about him.  Looks like your having a good season.   You ought to take "Goose" under your wing and teach him some trapping tips. 
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »
CJ...Good to see you on here  ;) I was hopeful you would teach me about some single barrel but you gave that up  :P Good to hear from you John, I retired in June 8), but these golden years are tough  :-\ always something to do, heck I'm working harder now than when I actually had a job... :-[ Yep Hern is really knocking them out, he sure has some good looking coon this year, I'm waiting on deer season to end so I don't have any extra help checking my traps >:(
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:41:50 PM »
Goose, for me them "golden years" have turned into "rusty years".  Haven't had any Single Barrel in many years now.  However every now and then I sneak in a small amount of Jamison. 
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Predator100x

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:28:28 AM »
Nice pics,how many coon so far this year?PS Ill be waitin for some deer bologna.LOL. ;D  ;D
Skin that one pilgrim and I'll fetch ya another!

Offline greenheadhunter

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 02:24:28 AM »
Way to nice catch