Author Topic: why use a drag?  (Read 3921 times)

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
why use a drag?
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:41:30 PM »
I have been readin a lot of stuff on wolfernation an I keep seeing people talkin about using drags for yote and fox.. what exactly are these things and why or when should u use them?

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: why use a drag?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:32:26 PM »
Mainly use them when the soil or lack of says that an anchor of any kind can not be driven into the ground.They work great for the mountain trappers or sometimes for the coons along the creeks.Keep your chains at least 4 foot long.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »
So I assume they are something similar to a grappling hook? Idea being the animal can't. Go too far without getting caught up in the brush?

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:19:34 PM »
correct.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:04:40 PM »
Ok I might be showing my inexperience here, but how or where do you hide a big chunk of metal like that and 6 to 10 foot of dog chain?

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 04:35:13 AM »
Years back, folks used light weight 'Coon drags' and light weight 'Coyote drags' with short chain with poor results. I had bad experiences of Coon climbing trees and never finding a Coyote while using light weight drags and short chain.
This left a bad feeling for most folks and many swore never to use drags again. But I 'needed drags' in some areas and experimented and talked with some pro trappers. What the problem was with the older style drag was they were too light with too short a chain.
A heavy drag and longer chain sloved alot of problems for me. I use a 2 lb.-3lb. drag with at least 6' of kinkless chain. I use 'em for Coon, Fox, Bobcat and Coyote. Catch is within sight.

Here's a few styles of drags I use....
L. to R. JC Conners drag, JC Conners swivel drag, homemade drag

at least 6' of kinkless chain..

Here's a large Coon, last season, on a drag hung up on cut Corn stalks.
Springhole set is between Corn and railroad in deep depression. Water runs slowly under railroad to other side where other traps are set in puddle. 4 to 5 traps (with drags attached) are set at this springhole location (both sides of railroad), plus 2 foothold traps in cornfield near Groundhog hole.
I have caught Reds, Greys, Coon and Coyotes in this springhole and holding them with drags...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 04:42:45 AM »
Chain and drag can be buried at set location. For the most part on land, I lay drag a distance away from my set and cover with ground litter. Be careful how you lay out chain and drag, you don't want chain hang'n up on drag. You want this system working properly.
Water sets, I lay extend chain in water and lay drag in water away from set.

check this out from last season...
http://www.ppha.us/smf/index.php?topic=5234.0
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:51:33 AM by Hern »

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 06:30:50 AM »
Thanks Hern,I liked the ribbon idea.