Author Topic: Killing for fun??  (Read 2600 times)

Offline D79hunter

Killing for fun??
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:06:14 PM »
So last week we had about one inch of snow fall in my area. So as soon as the weather broke I got out to a local public hunting area, after my first set I was on my wat to the next set when i noticed fresh coyote tracks wandering through the fields so I trailed them for a while and after a few yards and found the critter killed a large field mouse and left it lay uncovered on the snow,after about thirty yards I found another frozen on top of the snow. I could tell the coyote definitely persued and killed these mice, mouthed them then left them.I continued on the prints for several hundred yards and found four more deserted kills, six in all. I suppose the prey were on the move and the coyote was taking advantage of the situation,probably planning on returning for his prizes. I haven't had the opportunity to go back and never did see fur that day(other than the mice and few shrew!) onyone have any other angles on this or see this behavior before?
If you fail to prepare,
                    Prepare to fail.

You cannot dream yourself into a character: you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

Henry D. Thoreau

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Killing for fun??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »
I've seen where coyotes will catch a vole and not eat it.
I've heard they dont like the taste of a vole and spit them out

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Killing for fun??
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:17:40 AM »
I seen the same thing, I walked back the same trail the next day and the dead mice were still there. I think they just kill for the fun of it just like a cat does.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!