Author Topic: tracks  (Read 3446 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
tracks
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »
what kinda tracks to you guys think these are?

this was in a creek bottom and houses where close by but no one owns dogs at these houses.  also no human boot tracks where found.  so what do you think made them?  I have my thoughts but wanted to see what you guys thought as well. 

click on picture to enlarge.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

Re: tracks
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 02:32:06 PM »
If they we not transposed on top of each other I would say it was a dog.. But they appear to be transposed and are wide unlike a coyotes tracks that appears to me like a spear head.. I would say since they are wide and transposed the front one looks like a bobcat.. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »
definately not cat.  check out the attached picture.  one is of a bobcat track and the other is from the above picture.  on most canine tracks you can cleanly get an "X" between the toes and pad of the track.  on cats or felines you cannot get an "X" between the toes and the pad.  I am pretty sure this is either big red fox tracks or coyote tracks.  what leads me to believe they were red fox tracks was it was walking on top of the crust of the snow which was a difficult thing to do for anything over 20lbs on monday night.  if it was coyote I would have thought it would have broke through the crust. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:01:59 PM »
I say red fox as well because of the gait.  to close for a coyote and if you use the glove as reference not big enough for an average coyote.  But thats just a SWAG.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bloodhound

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:00:20 PM »
My guess is a fox  red/grey I don't know... But I find them all around Pittsburgh also...   

Offline bloodhound

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 02:43:56 PM »
  This is a single animal, it was milling around on the ice...  It even follows me lol   

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 08:46:11 PM »
I believe those are red fox tracks. They're not from a gray.
President PPHA

Offline bloodhound

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 10:41:04 PM »
I wasn't sure...   Thanks muttbuster

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 07:14:45 AM »
BB I'd say red fox