Author Topic: Howling at the fire  (Read 2355 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Howling at the fire
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:44:33 PM »
I've posted about this behavior before.It has happened to me on numerous occasions ,you get a blazing fire going at night and if it is visible to the coyotes they will howl at the fire.I bring this up again because a friend of mine experienced this strange behavior.He said he was outside burning an old stump and it was visible from where the coyotes were and they began to howl at the fire.Maybe this is of no importance but I find it to be very interesting behavior.Has anyone else have this happen to then while camping or burning the trash at night? 

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Howling at the fire
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:21:50 PM »
I have not, but I ran into guys camping out one time that said the same thing to me. They were in a valley and they said they were howled at most of the night. But who knows if they just howled a lot that night for some other reason? Still interesting.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 11:10:36 PM »
In Folklore and research articles, authors have high lighted that coyotes have always howled during the full moon periods vs dark nights...Who knows? maybe the camp fires trigger this impulse in  them????????/

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:44:35 PM »
I think it has more to do with the fact someone is outside tending the fire instead of being inside.  if your outside more then inside you hear more things.  I had coyotes that lived on the next door farm and pretty much every night during the summer I could hear em from the living room.  them pups were fun to mess with. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”