Author Topic: While this is not Tenn here are some Coyote statistics  (Read 3212 times)

uncle buck

While this is not Tenn here are some Coyote statistics
« on: November 16, 2010, 08:38:28 PM »
Tenn Coyote research on what they performed by Memphis State University.  It does state that the percentage of food by volume and weight varies with individual animals and also with season and locality.
Here is a synopsis of some of their findings:  I don't know how many coyotes were in this study.  All coyotes in the study this is what they found in the coyotes stomachs at one time or another through out the season???????
42.4 percent of the coyote stomachs contained rodent remains.
27.9 percent rabbits
24.3 percent deer
20.2 percent livestock
13 percent insects
11.9 percent nongame birds
0 percent game birds
2.2 percent reptiles and amphibians
1.1 percent shrews
.04 percent opossum
31.5  percent persimmon
21 percent other vegetation
16.7 percent grass
8 percent miscellaneous

Throughout the range of the coyotes rabbits and rodents appear to be the primary food source. Shifts  between eastern and western parts of the range seems to relate mainly to fruits, especially persimmons.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:44:50 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

Re: While this is not Tenn here are some Coyote statistics
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:42:56 PM »
Looking at data as a predator caller...Looks like when your using food sounds in your calling sequence it would be the field mouse and the rabbit as the food sounds to use.  Now I did notice a fox eating downed fruit..Either apples and or pears the other night.. So it might be good in warmer weather to hunt areas with downed fruit laying on the ground.. I know it might be one heck of a trapping area to set traps near Persimmon tree, pear trees or apple tree that have fruit on the ground.. I don't know how prevalent persimmons are to all 67 counties of Pa.. However this Tenn study does prove that coyotes do love persimmons. ???????/

http://www.ppha.us/smf/index.php?topic=5028.0
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:43:45 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:15:28 PM »
Coyote will eat what's available.
A friend from South Dakota told me his father raises canalopes. Ever year Coyotes raid the canalope field. Dangburn Coyotes.

Ever notice is late August and September that Red Fox and Coyote droppings contain yellow bellied Grasshoppers? Most dropping are solid Grasshoppers in my area.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:53:16 AM »
sounds like i need to plant me a persimmons tree :)...interesting too that no game birds were eaten in this study...only non game birds...my hypothesis would be that non game birds (ie chickens), are easier meals being penned up, or just don't have that wild instinct that its time to flee the scene, or quite possibly they can't fly because they've been clipped...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »
Wouldnt chickens fall into livestock?  Maybe non game birds are Robbins or Bluejays or something like it.
Chris Deckard  District 2

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 06:55:55 PM »
I remember I was doing a seminar...A new predator caller called me to have him entered to the attend list... He told me that he was so embarrassed...That he did not know how to use mouth calls to call  in predators.l..However he killed 4 coyotes so far using just a bulb squeaker...He hunted in the Northern Part of Pa...He told me his method.. When the snow would come he would throw a white sheet over himself and use bulb squeaker to call in coytoes. No light would be needed then over the twilight snow conditions. I told him not to be embarrassed because he used a bulb squeaker to call and kill coyotes. That he was using the best sound in Pa for all Predators... Looks like the Tenn study kind of shows that the coyotes favorite prey animal is "THE FIELD MOUSE!"   

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 09:53:33 AM »
chickens are livestock but I would suppose they are also non game birds...but you are correct, they very well could be blue jays, robbins, ect...first thing that came to mind is that crazy chicken distress sound foxpro makes, and I just went with it
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"