Author Topic: Fox Hole  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Crowmagnum

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Fox Hole
« on: February 17, 2010, 08:41:15 AM »
  a friend of mine lives just on the outskirts of town,,but still has neighbors all around him.It seems a red fox took up shelter in the neighbors drain that runs under his driveway..well we got a lot of snow and we thought the fox was gone but checking last nite there is a hole dug back down to the ditch...I often wondered if a fox always had a den or if they just find shelter in any old place....i seen the tracks going in and out..and now im wondering what it would take to call it outta there!!!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Fox Hole
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:07:58 AM »
some red den up and others may not, i have seen them sleeping ontop of the farmers round hay bails during the dead of winter, they are a hearty animal.   one guy at the end of the pipe yelling something and one at the other end with a shotgun should call him out.    if you want to see if you can get him the peak his head out, try baby red fox or red fox pup some distrance away from his hole.  

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:08:49 AM by scott »

Offline Crowmagnum

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:37:50 AM »
 I would but the neighbors might not appreciate me !!! Plus its right besides the road..Great thought though,,,I would probably have to try calling it to one of the back fields,,only thing there about 300yds away. Believe me if i could i would try that  ;)

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »
Trap?
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:07:51 AM »
When I read this post, my first thought was, I bet there are 2 Fox.
Reds are picking den sites right now. Should be interesting to see if it stays around to have pups.
I agree with scott, some Reds do hole up during extreme conditions.
Never know where a Fox, Coyote, Cat, Skunk, Bear or Possum will hole up.
Never surpises me to find a Groundhog hole in a freak place. Huh? There's a hole under that stuff? ::)

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
I would try foothold traps on each entrance. If you catch them, use a catch pole, drop them into a live trap and haul them out. The neighbors will love you for being so nice to the animals. According to the State of Pa, the fox is a part of the Rabies vector group meaning they must be put down. Legally, they are now aloud to be released. I would put it down where the neighbors can't see it. Just a little good PR.
President PPHA

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:10:58 AM »
glad to see you back MB!
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Crowmagnum

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »
  well i went back up to the fox hoe and i took my son,,we sat about 35 yds away i turned on the js red fox/grey fox and he was outta that hole in seconds looked around for a bit and took off the other way..My son thought it was pretty cool !!

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 01:37:54 PM »
Thanks Buddy, Can't wait to see if I can still ride the beast. I might look funny riding down the highway with an 02 bomb tied to my back. At least I know if I go down I'll go out with a bang. HAHA. Maybe I'll sell my bike and buy a fishing boat. we shall see.
President PPHA