Author Topic: coywolves  (Read 3280 times)

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
coywolves
« on: September 27, 2009, 08:30:19 AM »

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: coywolves
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 09:53:25 AM »
Great post archerobx, a lot of what was said are things most of us already know. The good part is news stories like that will help educate the general public about these dogs. People need to understand that these coyotes are not the cute little cartoon animal their kids watch on Saturday morning. This "breed" of coyote has just been recently discovered by researcher's and the main stream media. It's been around a long time but it is nice to see a little news that may help preserve our sport.
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
I remember years back.....Researcher and even the PGC use to say that Coydogs were off springs from a domestic dog and a coyote.  years later they found out this is not true.....Domestic dog is a delicacy for the Eastern Coyote.... Once heard the magic weight for a coyote to kill a dog is 28 pounds or less..If the dog is over 28 pounds it might be left alone by a coyote...However we all know coyotes are oppurtunist....They get the jump on anything, even a 2 year old in a yard they are going to try for the toddler...

However I do think they, coyotes  would breed with a wolf....  LOL LOL However only if the coyote was more the 28 pounds... Coyotes under 28 pounds are a delicacy for wolves.   ;D ;D

Did you ever see a coyote kill?  They eat the entrails and then the buttocks.......Don't ever pass out in the woods face down!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 11:05:02 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:03:55 AM »
 this is not news...it's old stuff printed for the public today.
UB,
Research has shown Eastern Coyote has Wolf pedigree. This has been studied and documented for 50+ years or so. One fact that always stood out to me is Eastern Coyote Skull (plates) are wolflike, much different than Western Coyote. It's true that western Coyote have bred with Wolf.
On a note about CoyDogs...Coyote will breed with Dog to fill a void. The bloodline is usually short lived. Reason being Dog mate doesn't help raise litter. Both Coyote partens help raise litter. Dogs don't (dog genes). So if Dog is in the bloodline, chance of survival (of bloodline) goes down. Yes there are Coydogs for a few generations then fizzle out.
Hybridiaztiong between Grey Wolves and Coyotes oocured in the wild in eastern North America. Possibly 2 episodes, one between Minnesota and Southwestern Ontario, Wolves and Coyotes bred. Then the second episode Wolves/Coyotes bred in southeastern Ontario, Quebec, New England & Atlantc Canada.
These movements were traced by mtDNA genotype frequence data.
Data from studys in southeasten USA shows Coyote and Red Wolf bred.

An execllent book to read and own is:
Eastern Coyote, The Story of Its Success
by Gerry Parker

contact-
Nimbus Publishing Limited
P.O. Box 9301, Station A
Halifax, N.S. B3K 5N5
phone (902) 455-4286
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:07:59 AM by Hern »

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:03:41 AM »
Grew up on the outerbanks were they re-introduced red wolves. I remember them breading with coyotes was a concern. Couple people i talked with thought one possible reason that aided in their disapearance was that they breed with coyotes and the coyote genes somehow were more dominate, but basically breed the wolves out.

I have seen red wolfs and coyotes they look almost the same to me.

I will order the book thanks

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 06:33:12 AM »
archerobx, eastern N.C. still has an area where Red Wolves live.
This past Sunday, our nephew phoned to shoot the breeze and catch up on news. He is stationed at Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station. He stated he's been scouting for trapping and hunting and saw a huge Coyote track on land he obtained permission. I told him it may be a Wolf track since Red Wolves were re-introduced to nearby Croatan National Forest.
10-12 years ago, I called Grey Fox and trapped Beaver, Otter and Fox around Jacksonville, N.C. Our son was stationed at Camp Lejeune. Our son re-enlisted and is currently serving in the Air Force.

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 07:51:44 AM »
this is alligator river
thank your son for me for protecting us