Author Topic: E-caller for a newbie  (Read 4304 times)

Offline seanthefreak

• PPHA Members
E-caller for a newbie
« on: October 27, 2016, 05:24:41 PM »
New to predator hunting. I have a few handheld calls but looking for a e-caller. The programmable icotec is $129 and free downloads for new sounds. How does this call compare to the foxpro.  THE only thing I see I don't like about the iconic is the buttons are just numbered.  No digital display to know what calls are on what number. WHAT is everyone's opinion on this. Thx guys.

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: E-caller for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »
My .02 on this is don't waste $ on a entry level call.  Get a good foxpro if you think you will stick with it. I know that may not be possible but when I started out i got a wildfire and it was ok but after a few years I upgraded to a Shockwave. I couldn't believe the difference and wish I didn't waste my money on the entry level call.  The tx-1000 remote makes a huge difference.  They have a newer remote out now I'm not sure how those compare. 
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 06:05:23 PM »
seanthefreak....everyone out there is looking for the perfect call  ??? ??? ??? some folks swear by one call and another has success with a different call....I recommend hooking up with one of the members and see what he is using and then hook up with another and see what they use....pricing may limit what you can afford as they vary greatly. I'm an old guy who still uses a FX5 by FoxPro, and I've seen others that I like just as well or even better  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ what I'm getting at, is you will need to experience some different calls and then decide... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 01:30:03 AM »
I have both a FOXPRO shockwave and the IcoTech GC500.  The sounds are great on both.   The biggest difference is the remote control.  The FOXPRO remote is so much easier to see especially at night.  However,  the range on the IcoTech is greater.

All of FOXPRO's sounds are live recordings,  not someone blowing a call.  That's not to says  IcoTech doesn't have great sounds.  Programming and downloading sounds is easier on the IcoTech from what I've been told.

Again,  I have them both.  I've even used them both at the same time on the same set.  If I had to pick just one.....  hands down,  the FOXPRO would be my choice.  I believe the sound quality is much better, and the remote is top notch.  JMO
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
FoxPro is running a rebate starting November 1st.  If you buy a Fusion or a Shockwave and send in the rebate info you get something for free.  I don't know what it is for the Shockwave, but I plan on picking up a Fusion on Tuesday.

The rebate for the Fusion is 8 rechargeable FoxPro batteries with charger and a carrying bag which is a total of a $70 value.  I plan to call them and ask them if I can send the extra money to buy up to the bigger carrying bag which is $30 more than the small one.

Although the Fusion is $500, it's an investment that I'll probably never change.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 08:21:34 AM »
MisterJake is spot on with his reply.  The only difference is the the ICoTec wont set you back as much cash.  If you do get one only get the top model GC500.  It does have the digital display remote.

You can not beat the a top end call from FoxPro as far as quality. 

If I was you I would buy a shockwave and if you don't like it then sell it to me for half price.   ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 08:35:29 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Always Lookn4acheapbuy...you are a piece of work!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 10:23:21 AM »
FoxPro is running a rebate starting November 1st.  If you buy a Fusion or a Shockwave and send in the rebate info you get something for free.  I don't know what it is for the Shockwave, but I plan on picking up a Fusion on Tuesday.

The rebate for the Fusion is 8 rechargeable FoxPro batteries with charger and a carrying bag which is a total of a $70 value.  I plan to call them and ask them if I can send the extra money to buy up to the bigger carrying bag which is $30 more than the small one.

Although the Fusion is $500, it's an investment that I'll probably never change.
I saw this.  The shockwave comes with rechargeable batteries and the large bag. They say $120 value on the shockwave.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 12:03:28 PM »
That's a great deal!!!
Jake
York, PA

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 10:19:23 PM »
I like my Shockwave.
PPHA President

Offline madcatter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 02:14:51 PM »
i have a foxpro fx-5,shockwave,and a ico tec gs500 with the tony tebbe sound libaray.the ico tec is a cheap caller that will work but the sound quality isnt comparable,that being said,its not as loud either-but -depending on your needs it would make a great little caller.the ico tec remote is far superior to either transmitter to operate the shockwave or fx5.the ico tec is simple to load sounds ,lighter,but it will operate at a distance that you wont even be able to hear it.

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 10:27:03 PM »
I have the HellFire and Inferno from FoxPro, I can not say enough about the Inferno being a great little call!
Throw it in a hoodie pocket and hunt all night, plenty loud enough to reach out there and the remote is awesome to use over the old tx-9. Now the upgrade to the higher dollar FoxPro callers give you a lot of different options, like fox cast and other data that can be useful when hunting, they hold more sounds and can be played even louder than say the inferno. It's all in what your looking for and can afford to spend. Sometimes it's worth the extra few weeks to save to get a true quality product. A wise man has been telling me that for a bunch of years now and boy is he right! Welcome to the sport and have fun but be safe!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline seanthefreak

• PPHA Members
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 11:03:33 PM »
Well I got a lower end fox pro but happy to have it. Now what sounds would u recommend to buy or download for specific species. Wanna target coyote, red and grey fox. Any sounds work better than othersome. The for the input.

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »
I have been doing good with coyote vocal female- male long howl, bark howl,yodel howl, pup distress for fox most any of the gray fox sounds same for reds rabbit distress bird distress have all worked for me. Good luck with new call Fox Pro are excellent calls.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 12:33:08 PM »
That pretty well covers it So-So.  It's like anything,  depending upon the time of year, animals will respond differently.
Jake
York, PA