Author Topic: Looking for 2, got 3  (Read 2991 times)

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
Looking for 2, got 3
« on: March 20, 2016, 01:02:37 AM »
Went looking for them two coyotes that my son saw a couple of days back.  It's about a 45 minute drive to the ranch so we left well before sun-up.  I wasn't feeling to good and had the shakes/trembling pretty bad so I was on the caller and my calling partner was on the gun.  He and I had been partners for many a year and just about know what the other is going to do before we do it.  We also served in SF together.  After he retired he went to work as a mercenary and knows his way around a rifle.  First set up of the morning just at daylight turned on the caller using coyote pup in distress.  These two are trotting in to see what's going on.  One stopped at about 400 yards out and the other kept on coming.  He whispered he would take the long shot but I was to watch the other one.  At the shot the coyote turned around and disappeared, the other just stood there looking back for his buddy.  Steve took the shot at about 50 yards and the coyote fell over dead, never even twitched.  I begin razzing him about missing the first shot and he said it looked good in the scope, can't explain why he misssed it.  We walked out to the spot and sure as God made little green apples we had a dead coyote.

Drove about one mile down the two track and set up.  This time I played the male challenge, long and loud.  About ten minutes into the call this "female" showed up and he killed her at about 100 yards.  This is what I don't like about calling this time of the year - her belly was rather extended so we cut her open, six fully formed pups.  I can understand why the ranchers want them killed and I will do my best to help them, just don't like it.  I did some ADC work for a few years and hated it when I had to go out this time of year for coyotes.  Then if they are nursing you have to find the den and kill the pups.

DPMS AR15, .223, 55 grain Sierra BTHP
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Looking for 2, got 3
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 08:29:18 AM »
 ;) ;) Very nice CJ  ;D ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:06:21 AM »
Very nice,  Thanks for sharing.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 03:11:43 PM »
Very nice Cj....
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 05:44:45 PM »
Nice!!😎

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 08:07:08 PM »
Good job CJ! Just curious, what's the average weight on coyotes in your area?

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »
Good job CJ! Just curious, what's the average weight on coyotes in your area?

No laughing allowed.  If we shoot one over 25 pounds we are more than happy.  This is the largest one killed and that was several years ago.  He was in the mid 30's if I remember correctly.

I have killed bobcats weighing more than some of our coyotes.
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 08:32:13 PM »
There still great looking coyotes. I had a friend move your way last year and have asked him how big they are since he sees them often but he had no clue.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 09:15:15 PM »
Good Job.
When a land owner is having Coyote problems, it's all you can do is to help out. That's the only time I hunt 'em in the off season.