Author Topic: Bridger 1.75  (Read 7834 times)

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
Bridger 1.75
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:04:34 AM »
Anyone use this new trap bridger came out with last season or know someone who did? Seems to be a 1.5 sized trap, actually smaller than thier 1.65, but just interested in how they worked out for a multi-species trap? I like how they come with a double post pan, good chain, good swivels, and a riveted baseplate already installed...for the price
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Bridger 1.75
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:58:23 PM »
someones got to have an opinion in this place...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:45:09 AM »
If you have a lot of fox in your area it would be a great trap.  I would add a swivel and that would be the only change i would make.  I think it is funny when people talk about useing them on yotes and cats but they would NEVER use a 1.5 for them.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 01:38:19 PM »
Thats kind of what I don't get 1.5 in my mind is 4.75...this 1.75 is 5 3/8...most regular 1.75s, say victors, I think are 5.5inches...the #2 is 6inches...I want a solid fox trap that can handle the occassional yote and keep it there...for bob kitties i'm not screwin around I set the duke #4
              "CritterDone"

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 08:49:39 PM »
I have a bunch of bridger 1.5s and i love them!  They are a very solid trap.  You might want to check out the sleepy creek 1.75s, i'm not sure on the price diffrence but they are a good looking trap.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 07:50:46 AM »
I feel a good all around Pennsylvania Canine trap is the Bridger #2. Baseplated, can handle Coyote.

Bridger #2's are may mainstay, but I've use alot of Bridger #3's for several years with good results. I like the big iron with bigger pan and bigger jaw spread. I haven't seen any abnormal foot damage with a properly tuned #3 on Grey's or Red's. Plus the Bridger #3 can double as a Beaver trap.
Try the Bridger #3's and see for yourself. I think Duke #4 has the same jaw spread as the Bridger #3.
Once again, Bridger #2 is a good Pa. Canine trap.

On another note...
I traveled with and took lessons from many a professional trapper...
One thing all have said to me about equipment...
By the best you can afford, not the most you can afford. It may take some time for a part-time to build up his equipment.

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 07:18:09 AM »
Well said Hern

Modified Bridger #2 have become my go to trap also.  Here in PA and in Illinois.  I do run some #3s and 1.75 Victors for certain situations, but the #2 is the one I grab first. 

The Bridger 1.75 is based off the old Northwoods.  That used to me one of my favorite fox traps until the coyote explosion.  Excellent trap, but in my area, the #2 is the most efficient.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 07:16:18 PM »
anyone got a opinion on the victor #2's? I see they go for less than thier 1.75's, and i'd buy american if I can afford to, and those I think I can afford at 110 bucks
              "CritterDone"

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 07:17:51 PM »
sorry, I see trapperjohn already uses the vic #2, I know I heard a lot of bad stuff about the square jaw (old model) but the ones in the catalogs are round jaws, and figured they got that all figured out, so I may look into them, just always wondered why they were cheaper than the smaller 1.75
              "CritterDone"

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 09:41:07 PM »
Sorry Critterslayer51, I should have worded that different.  I meant "but the #2 Bridger is the one I grab first"

When I first started catching coyotes in the mid 90s, I did use some #2 Victor square jaws.  Those coyotes did a great job dismantling them for me.  Didn't take long to get rid of them

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 06:02:16 PM »
Those old #2 square jaw vics are the best rat trap ever made!  I buy everyone I can get at a decent price.

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 10:46:28 PM »
I 'm in the market for a few coyote traps! I will remember what  Trapper John says about the Bridger  #2! 

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 11:09:42 PM »
you think those round jaw.2s would be a good producr?
              "CritterDone"

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 07:34:39 PM »
Phil Brown uses those #2 Victors for fox, and I bet he uses them for yotes also.

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 08:43:39 PM »
1.75 and 2 round jaw Victors are very close the same.  They are a much better trap than the old square jaw.
They are a great fox trap and an ok coyote trap in my opinion.  I use them on some of my farms that have high chances of domestics.  Everything I run is laminated now.  Nothing wrong with regular jaws, but I like them better and get less damage. 

A few years ago, Phil caught 1202 fox and 2 coyotes.  Pretty sure he gears for fox and doesn't worry about how they hold anything else
I could be wrong, but I'm betting that's not what he took to Mexico for his coyote line.