Author Topic: boil traps in black walnuts?  (Read 8499 times)

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
boil traps in black walnuts?
« on: November 01, 2011, 10:51:01 AM »
A friend of mine told me the other day that his pap used to use black walnuts as a die to boil traps in. Anyone ever try this?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: boil traps in black walnuts?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 11:17:04 AM »
Thats how I do all mine.  I pick them up when they fall on the ground.  Put in a bucket for a couple weeks to get good and black then throw them in your kettle and boil for about one half hour to release the stain them submerged your pre-cleaned traps in your water.  I let them sit in there for a day before I pull out and hang to dry.  They don't get dark black like some of the other stuff on the market but look pretty good.  Seems like the more times you do it the darker they get until a critter shines it up for ya. ;D   Sorry, don't have any pics to post for you.  Never thought of taking pictures of the process.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »
That is how I do my trap also, I clean new traps and let them hang to get a lite coating of rust on them and then boil them in the black walnuts, they seem to take the dye better.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:36:10 PM »
When I do set leg holds I do use the black walnuts also... Word to the wise when you store them make sure you place them in a well locked can...If you set them outside let say under a pine tree in a plastic bag... When you go to get them your stash is going to be gone!!!!SQUIRRELS and Chip & Dale Too!!!!!

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 01:19:13 PM »
Walnuts, acorns, oak leafs, sumac all can be used to die traps.

What are you trapping for?  If its coon just get cheap spray paint.  If its K9 than I would just wax them.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 05:28:02 AM »
I used Walnuts and Sumac for many a year.
When I do dye nowadays, I use logwood powder.

Over the years, I learned a light coat of rust and dying wasn't nessasary (every year) as long as I boiled in Lye (to clean odors) and wax before each season. A clean, waxed trap is odorless. I do re-dye my traps every 3-5 years.
Back when I dyed every season (dye one day, waxed the next day) I noticed my newly 'dyed' traps rusted slightly over night! Dang, I just dyed 'em yesterday! But still waxed with no problems. I tested  four dozen NEW canine traps by just boiling oil film off and waxing then setting. Those traps had no ill effect on Canines. So now I just 'dye' once in awhile more for tradition than protection.
Am not trying to change anyones methods, just stating how I do it, nowadays.

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 06:49:29 AM »
Ok this is a little off topic but I'm gonna ask anyway. I'm allergic to poison sumac and ivy and oak. I get it every summer now matter how careful I am. If u use it in boiling ur traps, can u still get it when u touch the traps? Or from the steam possibly? I have heard of people gettin poison ivy from throwing it in a fire and getting it litterally all over from the smoke. Sorry if I seem paranoid but just figured I would ask

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 06:54:10 AM »
I get it too easily just like you.
Just don't use it
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »
Dont use poison sumac!  Im not sure we have poison sumac around me.  The sumac we use to dye you can make a tea out of.

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 10:47:25 AM »
Good info. Hern I have herd guys doing that but never did it my self, but I will give it a try

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 11:22:34 AM »
Jeremybru is talking about Staghorn Sumac.  The poison Sumac would have white berries on it...That's if the berries were in season.. Like Jeremybru said that Staghorn Sumac is abundant all over the place in Pa..You will see it driving along the road.  The clusters of fruits on the Staghorn Sumac are pointed like a spear head.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 06:48:19 PM »
Sorry for the mix up. UB is correct...use Staghorn Sumac.
Funny how when posting or telling someone how-to do it...One may leave out an overlooked detail. Sorry.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 08:32:07 AM »
This is probably a dumb question but are you boiling the leaves of the sumac?
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 06:51:16 PM »
pointed, reddish spear head

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 10:22:08 PM »
 I haven't heard or read anything about the leaves, just the red seed pods are to be used. Www.eattheweeds.com has a lot of cool info on wild stuff u can eat.