Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 2581 times)

Offline ljg142

Getting started
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »
I am interested in getting started trapping. I'm as green as they come but have a strong interest in it. This is my first season (bow) hunting and now that deer season is winding down, I want to try something new. I know the woods where I hunt has foxes, racoons and possibly coyotes. There is a creek that winds through the middle and I was out yesterday and saw tracks everywhere so I think its going to be a good spot. Can someone recommend some good books, DVD's plus what gear is the best to get started with? Any information / recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Getting started
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:20:46 PM »
Trapperman.com forums
huntingpa.com forums they have some archives for beginners.
Also check out the PTA and our annual trappers convention in june for plenty of free seminars

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:22:09 AM »
Where are you located in PA?

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:26:55 AM »
Books etc are great but you need to get out there and get some experience. I love pocket and blind sets for coon if you trap water. This time of year you might need to focus on land trapping. Get some books and check out the trapping forum and get out there and set some traps. Take Leglifter's advice and make sure you know the trapping rules and regulations.

Offline ljg142

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:22:36 PM »
I am in Bucks County. There are some SGL's in Upper Bucks and I'm right by the Delaware too. I've familiarized myself with the laws and the 2011 - 2012 PA hunting / trapping digest.

Offline Grass Stain

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:09:27 AM »
YouTube is a great place to look at. It does not have all of our local Regulations but it has a ton of info ,esp for the beginner. Look at Dirt Hole sets, Post Sets , Hay Sets. You Have a year to understand what is goin on and getting some equiptment, The season will be wrapping up here shortly Feb 18. Unless you have some Beaver in the area they are alot of fun also and you have till March 31, ( Completly different regulations on them) Read your digest! Me personally I love my Bridger #2 offsets ,They catch everything that walks our area and is a good all around Trap. IMO I like to get all of my supplies from Minnesota Trapline. They are great people and shipping is fast.

Hope this helps a bit
"Live Life for what tomorrow has to offer,Not for what yesterday has taken away!"

D.Sapko
District 6

Offline ljg142

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 12:11:13 PM »
Thanks. I will check all that out. Does anyone have any other suggestions for where to get supplies from? It seems like getting some #1.5 to #2 traps is a great way to get started.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 07:19:03 PM »
I get almost all my supplies at the trapping convention in June or the trappers swap meet extravaganza in September.  You got it, get some 1.5s and 2s and maybe some 3 or 4s if you want to trap coyotes and bobcats. Prices are better at the trapping convention because the dealers are pretty competitive and will help with your questions. I like to haggle with them and I hate to spend more of my worked for money than I have to.

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »
 F&T and M&T are the places to shop online.  Maces is in pa they have good pricrs too.