Author Topic: turkey hunting  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
turkey hunting
« on: May 11, 2015, 03:10:41 PM »
Well I finally retired. My feet hurt and walking is a pain to say the least. But anyhow I went turkey hunting and shot one the first morning out. I felt if I had know this turkey hunting was this easy I probably would not have retired. Heck it only takes a few minutes. I could have done that over break time at work. Now what to do with the rest of the year?
I know there has to be something to do but what?
Maybe some one has some good ideas to help me fill the first year. I however do not want any of goose's ideas. Pulling weeds and have the wife nag him about his deficiencies in his wifes weed patch is just not me. 
So any of you men that have ideas please post them. I have no trouble weeding through good ideas.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:51:14 PM »
Congratulations, Ernie. Good for you.

Since I retired last May, I haven't given any thought of 'what' to do.
Seems I have plenty to do and don't know how I had time to hold down a full time Job.
One suggestion, I try to have my week planned but am very flexible day to day (unless fishing, hunting or trapping).
If a family member or friend wants me to do something with them tomorrow, I usually do that and put off my plans until the next day.
I did a dozen house and yard projects and have a few more planned. I can cut and split wood when I want to or feel like doing it.
You can take advantage of weather patterns for Fishing or Predator Hunting by using certain days to your advantage.
I've had the time to make Bluebird boxes, Weasel boxes, leather sheaths for axes, rebuild my atv trailer floor, do some 'chainsaw art', learn to weld, replace my alternator and differential on pickup truck, made venison and beef jerk, smoked Salmon, have more time to read and so on. These small tasks are more enjoyable with more time to do them rather than 2 days off. Every day is Saturday, now, Ernie. Being in the woods or on the water during the week is more peaceful than a weekend.
I spend more time with family and help them with some home project too.
I did rid out some sheds and basement and sold alot of things we don't use or was just a wall hanger. Things I should have done years ago.

In any event Ernie, don't sit on the front porch in a rocking chair. You wouldn't last long.
I have no clue what all your interests are, but keep active.
Each day, have something to do so you get out of bed.
My best to you, Buckwheat. Every day is Saturday...

Offline Shurshot

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 04:08:52 PM »
Congratulations Buckwheat ! ;) I shur am looking to be on the ah I'll do it tomorrow list, today I'm going to camp  ;D...Always something to be caught or shot or chased to the ridge below .Envy you guys.Don't stop keep moving and enjoy.   
The Best Is Yet To Come ! I'm telling you !

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »
Hern
Thanks for the reply and concern, are a good friend.
There are a lot of things on my to do list.I will not get caught up  until next year. LOL
 I was just looking for some fun answers from the guys on the forum. I was even jurking Goose's chain at the same time. LOL

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:17:09 PM »
     Ernie,

If you're ever looking for sometihng to fill your time, come across the river and you can always help me cut my "Honey-Do" list in half.    If thats not appealing, we can go to plan B and check out farms to ground hog hunt.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 07:09:32 PM »
Jakes
Ground hog hunting first! There is never a honey do list that can not be put off until next year or two.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Welcome to the retirement club  ::) ::) ::) ::) I am sure jaspr1 and I could fill your time.... ??? ??? ??? ??? Jaspr1's new truck needs a fresh coat of wax. Then his new feeshin jacket may need pressed so he stays prim and proper as a feeshin celebrity... ::) ::) ::) ::) and cutting wood?? yep I have a bunch to cut for next winter....But number...excuse me.... numeral uno Ernesto, consider the things on your bucket list and try to get to them.. 8) 8) 8) 8) my problem was my bucket had a hole in the bottom $$$$$$ property in Alaska is out of my reach, and with all the junk I have I couldn't move across the street  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 08:10:59 PM »
Son of a gun........ya finally did it. :) :) Congratz. ;) ;) Keep on truck'n. 8) 8) 8)

Now get to cut'n the grass. :) :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:18:56 PM by longhair »
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 08:32:10 PM »
Congrats on your retirement Ernest!!!! your going to like it those days when the roads are bad and you can just turn over in bed and sleep.. I have been turkey hunting, morel hunting, fishing for trout on the streams, fishing for trout from my Scanoe and I made a trip down to Lake Marburg and fished into the night on the Scanoe..

Turkey hunting has been a bit frustrating....I have permission to hunt on land. The land is posted because I helped post it... The slob hunters sneak in from the back and just destroy the turkey hunting ... the turkeys roast in the back where they sneak in.. I'm hoping that the Pa Game Commission gets the law passed that they can fine people for trespassing.. right now owners have to call the police...The farmer keep telling them to get off but they still sneak in...See the owner I think would have to get a lawyer and go to court... I would think that if it's a Pa Game law violation the wardens just can fine them and they might learn a lesson. what is really bad is that you start calling and you get these guys that are coming into your calling.. as you know it's against the law to even do that.. Also you hear the turkey coming in and then they show up or you hear them shooting like  4 shots... Now think about the gun is suppose to plugged for three...Anyway it's quite frustrating...these are lands that I have been hunting on now going into my 29th year...
Recently I found out about a lake down in Virginia.. Now get this...Their fish commission stock it with 10 inch Channel Cats each year... Now the fisherperson are getting.....30 pound Channel Cats out of this lake... It's called Lake Frederick and it's in Northern Va near Front Royal. from my home it's  128 miles away... so for Pa Goosehunter it would be oh 68 miles from his house...

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 09:47:38 AM »
 :) :) :) Got this from a retired buddy of mine....after hearing we lost another friend from the work place... :( :( :(

Good advice for retirement Ernie,

"As we know life is so short make the best of it and enjoy the small and big things every day."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:50:09 AM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 10:14:14 PM »
Congratulations on retirement Ernie as well as your couple minute turkey!
I've never heard any better advise than what Hern said "Every day is Saturday"!  You earned it, enjoy it to it's fullest potential.
Groundhogs are popping up and during left and right for us these days, you should come join us!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »
Goose
I hear ya, I have always lived life as full as possible. But the death thing I will deal with it when it gets here. Not until then.
I have to many things I want to do. Physical health is what us older guys have to worry about. So you better do what you can wile you can Physically.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 10:36:02 PM »
Bowman66
Thanks for the congrats on the turkey.
I would love to go ground hog hunting. But not for a few days  I have a few things to tie up this week. But next week looks good. I would like to hunt hogs with you and jake.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 05:53:22 AM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o RETIRED!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o I almost fell off my chair  :P :P :P :P :P I thought you were retired 10 years ago  :-[ :-[ when I first knew yee, how would you know??  ::) ::) I was thinking  ::) you made calls out of used skids for a living   :( and when "Rockfish" went South  >:( you went under,nobody to carry the skids!  :P :P . I think "Goose" mentioned one time he thought you were a professional "Newspaper Delivery Boy"  ??? ??? but I thought he was just trying to be funny.  >:( All I can say is ENJOY your retirement from whatever  ;) ;) Maybe he said you got up at 5AM to make the Donuts  ;D ;D ;D ............anyway if you get really bored I can take you on a discounted snake hunting or guided fishing trip  ::) ::)................. 8)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 07:04:35 AM »
Jasper
You and Goosebumps sound like my wife.
You never listen to what I said. 10 years ago I was tired and never did much. My wife will vouch if you would like to call her, she knows everything. Now all I am saying is I got tired all over again hence the word retired.
Even though I am real tired I could possibly fit in one more fishing trip or snake hunt. But you better make it soon, I am starting to tell the wife I am starting to feel super tired.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle