Author Topic: Uncle Buck, Lookn4fur, coyotenightmareonelmstreet  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Uncle Buck, Lookn4fur, coyotenightmareonelmstreet
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 07:26:03 AM »
yes you can still eat it

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 07:39:28 AM »
coyotenightmareonelmstreet, I live over here and you are welcome to stop in any time.

I was very excited to find a few and was literally like a Beagle pup on his first Rabbit scent. I didn't want to leave. Now when I go in the backyard, I walk back to the same spot and look for more, just like that pup returning to the same spot for more scent...
Working the area like an experienced Beagle, I stayed close and closer then slowing working out futher to find the another...

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 10:09:05 AM »
Yep its still table fare Hern...and mighty fine at that!

uncle buck

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 12:52:45 AM »

Jim,
Ive let them grow for 3-4 weeks after locating them as long as its not too wet or too dry
and they not only double, if not triple in size but there is more of them to pick.
Also they have time to drop spores
mind you, I only do this in low pressure places
You couldn't do that here.... Just like the large population of fox hunters in this area there are a large number of Morel hunters too..

Also confirming Hern... If you find any that have been stepped on.. Your OK to consume them too...
One thing to remember about other mushrooms... You best have a good recipe let say for Oyster mushrooms... Just because they have the name oyster doesn't mean they taste like them... You need to enhance the flavor of certain mushrooms.. Hence that is why when just cooking any ole edible mushroom use the butter and popcorn seasoning... I was in Giant today and it was on green label...wow they had  6 different flavors of the Popcorn season... I took three and will try them out.. I suggest you get this book:
Bill Russell Mushrooms of Pa and the Northeast by Penn State Press... I got mine at Amazon and I am really happy with it....$19.32 for the book...It has recipe in it too...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 04:51:22 AM »
Uncle Buck, since you said to go back and keep checking for more Morels...I think the count is 14-16 so far. Thanks for the advice to keep checking.
This picture is from yesterday morning....

uncle buck

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 12:54:48 AM »
Hern that's outstanding that makes my day...Now if there are any properties next to yours too.. If the people let you look I 'd check them out too...  Make a note in your outdoor log book of the time frame you found them... You should see them come up every year in the spot for awhile .Also next year try not to cut any of the grass there unless it gets so high you couldn't see the Morel then you have no choice... Don't fertilize or use any pesticides there either ever again......