Author Topic: Willis Kent's- 'Little Buddy'  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Willis Kent's- 'Little Buddy'
« on: June 15, 2015, 04:49:34 PM »

I got two of these calls off Willis back in the mid to late '80's. He made them from the top of a pen.
I may have lost one over the years, but found this call today while looking thru stuff in the basement. Seems to never been out of the wrapper. I did open it and give it a toot...It still sounds great.
Anyone remember Willis?

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
Re: Willis Kent's- 'Little Buddy'
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 07:23:04 AM »
Willis gave me one, the red , but I lost it years ago. I think I told you about us bunking together back at NTA board meetings in the late 70's.A great man and coyote hunter and trapper.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 10:19:31 AM »
Joe, I posted this on huntingpa and a guy said these calls are being made today. I wonder who bought Willis's name/rights or if someone else is making calls from pens.
Over the years I was given several small, pocket calls from makers plus call makers/members of this site. Arrow shafts, small wooden tube, Deer horn and such, all small like the top of a pen, so very easy to lose, so very easy to break.

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 10:03:46 PM »
Hern
Looks like a company by the name of Finley Furs makes them now.  Even the packaging is close to the same

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/products/Finley-Furs-Little-Buddie-Predator-Calls.html

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 10:51:01 PM »
Ya I have those calls... Neat one the Jack Rabbit Distress and other the cottontail... I actually received a couple of calls made from fired rifle brass too... They are small and fit in a pocket of side pouch on a hunting bag..I remember taking a pill bottle and taking a voice channel and inserting it into the pill bottle with the twist cap on it... A hole a the bottom and a hole in the cap... I glued the voice channel inside the cap hole and wow that work just like all of those basic closed reed calls.. You could use any size pill bottle too.. Just make sure it's the one with the twist cap not the pop off cap... Save your parts to from broken calls and rig your own... PS.. I know Hern already does this too.. .using parts from other calls..He also posted about doing this years back.. saving parts... However when your bored bore a few holes in pill bottle and insert all the voice channels you have into each one ... Glue voice channel in place.   As you know you can buy the voice channels for Jack, Adult Cottontail, baby cottontail, and coaxer too..

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:56:11 PM »
Joe, I posted this on huntingpa and a guy said these calls are being made today. I wonder who bought Willis's name/rights or if someone else is making calls from pens.
Over the years I was given several small, pocket calls from makers plus call makers/members of this site. Arrow shafts, small wooden tube, Deer horn and such, all small like the top of a pen, so very easy to lose, so very easy to break.
Tell me about it... Gee I lost some mighty nice pocket calls in my time too...The railroad tracks are a bad place to lose them... You hear that click but they fall hidden between all that railroad rock..  I do like the Crit-R-Call Orange calls for this reason.. Sometime that peewee call fly's on too other frontiers...

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 10:58:07 PM »
Now that they changed hands the original Wills will become quite collectable...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 05:30:07 AM »
Thanks TrappinJohn. That's the same site a fella on huntingpa gave me.