Author Topic: Hello PPHA!  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Thirty Cal

• Aim small, miss small!
Hello PPHA!
« on: December 11, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »
Hello everyone! I just joined and I'm excited to see what I can learn here. I look forward to attending some of the events in 2012 and getting to know some of the folks in the PH community.

I have total access to 400 private acres in Bradford County that trail cams have shown to have bobcat, coyote (big beautiful buggers too), racoon, possum, fox, fisher, skunk, porcupine, weasel...you know - the usual suspects. And apparently plenty of them too. Our group of 5 hunt deer. (I got 3 this year including a nice 7 pointer. The other 4 guys got a total of 1.) There are deer, bear, turkey, grouse, at least a couple woodcock, doves and lots of squirrels and rabbits on the property too. I'm the only one with deep passions for hunting and the other guys don't care much for varmint/predator hunting. Leaves more for me!  ;D The owner is a good friend and he'll hunt with me most any time. The only down side is it takes me 3.5 hrs to get there from home.

I use a Wildlife Technologies ecaller that I think is exceptional. I have it on very good authority - me - that Idaho mule deer can be called in to cottontail distress! LMAO. I even have pictures! It's a great call, but it gets heavy when you hike miles up and down mountains and trails. Trust me, it does!

I use Remington bolt actions with Leupold optics. I built my AR. I handload all my centerfire ammo. I carry a Sig.

I don't have any night lights so I'll be looking to learn what I can there too. I've never hunted at night. My trail cams have taken night pictures of up to 4 or 5 coons at once and from what I gather, they can be called and hunted.  I like to call in crows on occasion too. LOL.

The last coyote I saw was in Idaho (not counting the 2 road kills on 476 near Scranton a week or so ago) when I was there in Sept looking for wolves, but that's another post.

I look forward to getting to know you and learning some of the tricks of the trade.

Thirty Cal
District 2 but will hunt anywhere, even my home state of MD.

Offline Deerhtr

• Junior Forum Member
  • Critters Taste Good
    • Gary's Home Page
Re: Hello PPHA!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:04:02 AM »
Welcome aboard.

Offline a bolt

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 12:12:10 PM »
Welcome aboard.and good luck.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 03:08:08 PM »
30cal
If you are getting into predator hunting 400 ac is not a lot to hunt. You have good red fox hunting were you live. Have any luck with them there?
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
I'd be happy to take you out in 5C for a hunt if you are local.  I used to live in Sayre, Bradford County...it is truly a sportsmans paradise up there!

Claybird

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
did you find wolfs i scranton

Offline Team Howler

• Junior Forum Member
    • Lycoming Fence Company LLC (Personal Business)
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:10:42 PM »
Welcome aboard! Just remember to always be scouting in other areas for untouched property. You live so far away you should find farmers and property owners where you live. Always be asking. Remember predator hunting is fun. I know for me driving just to hunt would get old. Keep it fun and as cheap as possible.
Hunt safely!
District 3
Matt Brown
Arsenal: Savage Model 12 22-250, Tikka T3 lite Stainless .233, Ruger model 77 mark II .243, Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25/06
Tools
FoxPro Firestorm w/ Fox Jack, Kill Light 250 and 100, Various Hand Calls

Offline Gismo

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 05:54:39 PM »
Welcome sounds like you are going to have fun hunting there

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 07:57:19 AM »
Glad to have you! good luck this season

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 09:26:30 AM »
Thanks for joining........Tim
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Thirty Cal

• Aim small, miss small!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
30cal
If you are getting into predator hunting 400 ac is not a lot to hunt. You have good red fox hunting were you live. Have any luck with them there?

Buckwheat, you are right, there are a lot of red fox around here. Not uncommon to see them any time of the day. I've not tried to hunt them locally on public land but thats next on the agenda now that deer season is closed.  My friend that owns the 400 acres knows a lot of the local farmers up there as well and we do have access to their property. The 400 is just what he owns.
Thanks for your reply!
District 2 but will hunt anywhere, even my home state of MD.

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 06:29:11 PM »
Thirty Cal welcome and good luck with your hunting season
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association