Author Topic: D6 March Madness Statewide Coyote Hunt  (Read 30846 times)

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
Re: D6 March Madness Statewide Coyote Hunt
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 07:46:41 AM »
Why not    205
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline Deadeye

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »
     count me in.......... i had a poor season and try to redeam my self. called in a few but, would not come all the way in........ what a bummer.       Num. 367
Ron
Lancaster Co.

Offline nortpete

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
    • French Creek Calls and Taxidermy
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 11:33:18 AM »
Nick
Crawford County
French Creek Calls & Taxidermy
www.frenchcreekcalls.com

Offline Jake

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 07:17:46 PM »
Count Me in   556
It is, What it Is.

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »

Offline predhunter82

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 07:51:29 PM »
Chris Gilga
District 3

Tools: T/C 22-250, Savage 10 Predator .204 Ruger, Remington 11-87 12 ga, Fox Pro Fury, EWT Kill Lights 250 and 100. Various Mouth Calls

Offline scottm2012

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 08:09:47 PM »
I'm in

Scott Morgan
District 3
TC Venture 308, Savage 340C 222, Dan Thompson and Bees O'Brien Calls 

"I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America."

Joshua Boston

Offline dibo (Bob)

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 11:03:26 AM »
I'm in    151
Live everyday as its your last...

Bob Huston
District 3 Co-Coordinator

Offline yotehammer

• PPHA Members
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 12:40:10 PM »
id like to be in, but havent gotten my member # yet, paid my dues on the 19th though
Savage Axis 22-250
Howa Axiom 243
Hornady Superformance VMAX
EWT Lights
FOXPRO SHOCKWAVE

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 01:06:51 PM »
The number is for any tie breaker based on the pa lottery

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 10:35:56 PM »
OK...maybe I am a predator hunting addict.  Just can't go cold turkey from fox hunting a couple nights a week to nothing.  Glad Zekedog is having a March Contest.  So the itch got to me and I decided to do some coyote hunting.  Calling my hunting partner, Ernie who said..."don't go tonight if you are in the contest...wait until March."  Why is he always right...

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 09:36:30 AM »
Nice.  Congrats.  You have any details?
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
Seeking_coyotes
Great!! You have shot it to soon. :-) Lets hear the story.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
Well, not tons of details but lets see here...

This is my first year with spots with coyotes on a few.  I set out to make it a goal to kill one.  Kinda like lots of guys do with PA bobcats. 

I'm no genius when it comes to hunting but I did learn alot by hard work.  What the coyotes taught me this year was 10x more than I read from books, videos, message boards.  Enough blabbing.

So it was my last stand of the night and what I figured was the worst spot of the night.  About 1:30 A.M. and snow and rain began at 2:00 AM.  Not sure if that helped or now.  The farm was what experience has taught me is just a hit or miss pass through area.  However, I am starting to think that if you call loud coyotes will come in for up to a mile away.  A mile to them is like 300 yards to us.  Amazing how they can cover ground and climb hills like nothing. 

Did the normal calls on my fury...howls, whimpers, etc.  Nothing.  Dave Dunbar Howler.  Nothing.  Then did some bunny sounds.  Nothing.  Then tried grey fox distress which has been more successful for me this year with coyotes than the bunny sounds.  Found this out one night hunting with Damian when a coyote came into this sound like it was on fire.   Waited about three minutes between calls.

About twenty minutes into the set and these two are headed to my Fury which was off at the time and upwind of them.  However, I believe they can peg a sound within a couple feet by triangulating with their ears.  Even when very far away.  I am a fan of and use misting and feel that it helps.   

They were very close at only 120 yards and easy to see in the Carnivore 5 light mounted on my tripod.  Shot the first one in the head.  It was a male.  Second one did not run and was not sure what happened.  She looked around trying to make sense of what happened to her man so I opted out of the head shot since her head was moving and put one through her neck.  She ran off never to be seen again.   Now I am down to only head shots with this caliber.

This is only personal opinion but my .17 Fireball is my favorite gun and caliber...however, my personal opinion based on experience is that it is not enough for coyotes.  From what I have seen, if you are not doing a head shot then use enough gun....223 and up.  I would have my .243 but it is at the gunsmith and Savage sent the wrong stock for it twice  >:(.   Going to a .243 and Hornady soft or hollow point 75 grain bullets next year for hogs, deer, coyotes.  Maybe some day if I save up I will try out the .223 as a combo fox / coyote gun.  I'd rather err on the side of to much gun than to little.

The coyote had a real pretty coat but due to mange it had no tail and most of the hair on its butt was gone as well.  While it would have been nice to get a full pelt to tan, I feel better that I was able to take out this one to hopefully stop the spread of mange.  Wish I had some gas to burn it as the ground was too frozen to bury it and I would not want other fox/coyotes to suffer and eventually die from this terrible mite infestation.  Told the farmer and he said he just wanted me to leave it.

So there is my story.  Thank you Jesus, thank you coyotes for the lessons you have taught and will continue to teach me, and Mr. Wilson for a great tripod and light.  One thing is certain...coyotes are much smarter than me and IMHO about 10x smarter than even a red fox.   Guess that is what makes em so darn fun to chase.

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »
Good going seeking! That is your confidence builder for march madness. Just curious what type of bullet was u shooting out of the fireball